Workshop
Ask a question

How to increase the height of aircon stand?

zee93
Just Starting Out

How to increase the height of aircon stand?

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a DIY project and need some advice. I have a stand that sits over an outdoor aircon unit, and on top of that stand, there is a heavy storage cabinet. I need to increase the height of the stand by about 15 cm to fit a new aircon unit while still being able to keep the storage cabinet on top.

My plan is to place solid Pine blocks beneath the four legs of the stand
to achieve the desired height, something like this White Square Pine Furniture Leg. However, I'm concerned about the safety and stability of this setup. Specifically, I'm worried that the storage cabinet might topple over.

Has anyone done something similar or have any insights on whether this approach is safe? Are there alternative methods to increase the height that would ensure stability and safety?

Thanks in advance for your help!

IMG_20240727_120215633.jpgIMG_20240727_120223804_HDR.jpgIMG_20240727_120230259_HDR.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Increasing the Height of a Stand for Aircon Unit

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @zee93. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about raising a cabinet.

Raising the height of your stand by adding Pine blocks under the legs can be done safely, but the key is to ensure that the storage cabinet on top is secure. Increasing the height itself doesn’t necessarily increase the risk of toppling, but you should ensure the cabinet is properly attached to the wall behind it.

By law, all cabinetry sold in Australia that could potentially topple and cause harm must include wall fixings. It’s important to attach the cabinet to the wall with brackets and masonry fixings. This will prevent it from tipping over and ensure it stays securely in place. If you can add brackets to secure the cabinet to the wall, your setup will be far more secure and compliant with current safety standards.

Given the cabinet's weight, instead of adding the screw-on legs, you might like to remove the current vertical timbers and replace them with new timber 15cm longer. That would be a more robust solution.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects