Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to upgrade my 84 Pacesetter caravan?

Daryl2
Finding My Feet

How to upgrade my 84 Pacesetter caravan?

I have just started doing a project on my Pacesetter caravan it had a kitchen sink under window and cupboards that full length 7ft across the front, I've ripped out the kitchen and left the stove, to the right cleared enough space to put another bed across front (day seat) we discarded the sink as we use a fold up sink more  the tap copper pipe still poking up from floor how do you seal it permanently we only use Jerry can water, so this is not required. So all will be pulled out from floor and floor holes sealed, then the rotten piece near window 6" long is it easier just replace bottom timber support or cut out rotten section, and replace,

There is a material like sheeting covering inside wall (I was thinking reinsulate with poly styrene) then veneering it over 

Then building a frame for bed boxing it in with hinges (store porta potty & microwave etc) then just adding mattress and back cushion. Job done, is it this easy?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to upgrading my 84 Pacesetter caravan?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Daryl2. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about upgrading a caravan.

"Is it easy?" That depends on what issues you might encounter during the build. Easy is not a word commonly used within the caravan restoration community; many times, work on caravans can be challenging.

Regarding your questions, you can patch the floor with plywood once the pipework is removed. Or, if the holes are small enough, Bulder's Bog. Another option, if you are using solid flooring, might be to glue a metal patch on top of the holes as a blanking plate.

For the rotten section, some images would really help our members to better understand the issue you are addressing. Let me know if you need a hand uploading pictures. Often, it's best to replace the entire support rather than trying to cut out and repair sections of it.

Applying insulation over the existing wall panelling could work but will reduce the already tight footprint. If there are any signs of moisture ingress or decay, it might be worth removing some wall sheeting so you can inspect behind.

If you haven't already, make sure you take a look at this wonderful three-part guide: How to renovate a caravan by @Peggers

I wanted to point out that asbestos was used in caravans and is found in insulation, flooring, wall panels and other areas. Any pipe lagging, cementitious panels or even adhesives should be considered asbestos unless determined to be otherwise.

Let me mention one of our caravan restoration experts @twocutekelpies to see if they have some advice.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to upgrading my 84 Pacesetter caravan?

Thank you  I've started project 

Building a box type bed  Will add photos as progress continues.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects