Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore exterior door veneer?

dkdndjjffnj39
Just Starting Out

How to restore exterior door veneer?

Hi everyone,

this is a main entrance door, sun and rain damaged veneer. 

how can I restore this door, given its veneer and can’t sand it back to original.

I want it to look fresh wood, but not paint it.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/corinthian-2040-x-820-x-40mm-entrance-door-windsor-bevelled-kookaburra-g...

Jason_0-1724211532387.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Exterior door veneer weathered damage repair

Hello @dkdndjjffnj39 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about repairing your Corinthian door.

I suspect that the veneer can be sanded down but only very lightly. Please allow me to speak with our supplier regarding the refurbishment of this door. As soon as I have more information, I'll get back to you.

Thank you for your patience.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Exterior door veneer weathered damage repair

Hi @dkdndjjffnj39,

You can sand your door lightly with 180-240 grit sandpaper to try and remove the staining by revealing fresh timber. However, since it's only a thin veneer, you can only sand the top layer. If the staining penetrates deeply into the timber, sanding might not work.

The only other option I can think of is to lightly sand the whole door then use a product such as Feast Watson 1L Woodclean - 1L. However, you'd need to clean the whole door with it and not just in the areas that are stained. I recommend doing a test section in an inconspicuous location to ensure it does not adversely affect the timber.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects