Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace supporting 1.2m timber retaining wall?

jenyushaw
Finding My Feet

How to replace supporting 1.2m timber retaining wall?

Hi all,

This “garden bed” portion of our retaining wall is in a disgraceful condition. This is a 1.2m tall and 10m wide second level of a retaining wall. It looks like the fence behind the retaining wall is in good shape above ground, so we are hoping to DIY the reconstruction of the garden bed portion (fully understanding that we are not engineers). 
I plan on removing some bricks and extending the wall out by 20cm before digging holes and installing galvanised steel beems and concrete sleepers. 
I’m eventually planning on removing the rotten wood before filling with appropriate filler. 
My questions for the forum is two fold - 1) Is this job structurally complex and just needs a professional? And 2) If I was to extend the retaining wall successfully, would I be able to remove the rotten wood without risking the integrity of the fence behind? 

Many thanks in advance, 

IMG_0901.jpeg

IMG_0902.jpeg

IMG_0903.jpeg

IMG_0906.jpeg

IMG_0907.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace supporting 1.2m timber retaining wall?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jenyushaw. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing a retaining wall.

I'd consult with some professionals on this one as it's complex. That's a bit of a precarious setup to begin with, having the higher retaining walls posts down into the lower retaining wall. Now that the lower retaining wall is compromised all of it could come down.

I would advise you not to touch it. Consult with the neighbour on the other side of the fence, as their retaining wall is only held up by this one. Contact a professional fairly briskly, and danger tape off the area so no one walks in front of the wall, especially in the worst bit.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to replace supporting 1.2m timber retaining wall?

Thanks for your advice. We will consult an engineer in this case and update you on an outcome. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects