Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace screws on Colorbond roof?

dgb278
Finding My Feet

How to replace screws on Colorbond roof?

I have a 20 year old corrugated metal colour bond roof and need to replace the screws. What is the ideal screw type and length for the job? 

Community manager's note: Check out How to choose the right screw for the job for expert advice.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best screw to use on Metal Roof

Hello @dgb278

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your corrugated metal roof.

I suggest removing one of the screws holding your roof in place. I recommend bringing it to your local store and comparing it to the available roofing screws. It's important to look at the type of screw as some are for timber frames while others are for steel frames. If you have a steel frame, I suggest looking at Buildex 14 - 12 x 55mm Roof Zip® ROOF-LOK® Hex Head Screw With Climaseal 4 - 250 Pack. This is a specially designed-screw to hold the roof down even in cyclonic conditions.

For timber frames, I suggest having a look at Buildex M6-11 x 50mm Roof Zips Screws - 100 Box. Please just keep in mind that the screws you purchase must be at least as long as the existing screw that you have. For extra weather protection, you can put an extra sealer on top by applying Selleys 290ml Clear Storm Waterproof Gutter And Roof Sealant on the surrounding screw head. 

My only other reminder is that if the spot you are re-drilling into has deteriorated, it will be necessary to relocate the screws position and the old drill hole covered with the roof and gutter sealant. Please remember to take all necessary safety precautions when working at height.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric. I was going to bring a screw down to Bunnings to compare it with what is in stock. I was hoping someone might suggest a length, size and type of screw that is better than what I have on the roof at the moment. I also think I will need in excess of 1,000 screws to replace all that are on my roof. Thanks again for your advice.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @dgb278

Great minds truly think alike. It's great to know that you are bringing the screw down for comparison. The Buildex 14 - 12 x 55mm Roof Zip® ROOF-LOK® Hex Head Screw With Climaseal 4 - 250 Pack and the Buildex M6-11 x 50mm Roof Zips Screws - 100 Box should work with your corrugated roofing sheets. Please note that these screws do come in longer lengths and different gauges. The screw packs come in packs of 500 and 1000. I suggest speaking to one of our helpful team members at the store if you need assistance with the roofing screws.   

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects