Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair fence in sinkhole?

mrpatel
Growing in Experience

How to repair fence in sinkhole?

The end section of my front garden fence is over a sink hole and needs repair.

IMG_1463.jpeg

Here's the back of the fence showing the rail having come off the post nearest in the pic. 

IMG_1467.jpeg

Rail broken off postRail broken off post

Plan:

1 - Remove pickets from upper and lower rails. Should be doable as they are nailed on

2 - Re measure lengths for upper and lower rails in their current sinked position. (Top is going to be longer than bottom)

3 - Buy treated pine and cut to measure to replace rails. 

4 - Buy brackets similar to below to re-inforce rails in to the posts

5 - Attach brackets to posts and fix on rails in new position

6 - Screw on pickets to rails.

IMG_1459.jpeg

Questions/concerns:

1 - I am concerned about the rail attached at an angle from post to post as it won't be attached plumb, but I have no way of re-aligning the  posts because they are now over a sinkhole.

2 - Should I fill the below recess on the left post and attach the new rails with brackets for this end? If so what type of bracket would work?

IMG_1465.jpeg

Thanks, 

Ash.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Repair fence in sinkhole.

Hi Ash (@mrpatel),

Your plan sounds solid and should work just fine for repairing the fence. Removing the pickets, measuring the rails in their current position, and reinforcing them with brackets is a good approach. Using the existing cutout on the left post is a practical solution—there’s no reason you couldn’t use it. The cutout is designed for rails that are parallel to the ground, and since your new rails will be parallel, it should work well.

As for your concerns about the rail not being attached plumb due to the posts being over the sinkhole, that’s understandable, but given the situation, it’s more important to ensure the rails are securely fixed, even if they aren’t perfectly aligned. Using brackets will reinforce the structure and make up for any slight misalignment.

I'd try to use the recess as is. Once you offer a rail up to it, you'll soon be able to tell whether you can use it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects