Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair crazy paving grout?

Belr
Just Starting Out

How to repair crazy paving grout?

Hello, I have my crazy paving pressure cleaned last week.  Unfortunately some of the grout has come out (see photo).  Could you please advise the best way to fix this as a DIY project, including the materials and colour to use.  Many thanks.  

B_crazy paving.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair crazy paving grout?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Belr. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing grouting.

It looks like the grouting has been partially repaired in the past, as indicated with the darker grey grouting; if you’re just looking to replace the missing grout, you can certainly use mortar to fill the gaps. However, for a more lasting solution, I recommend removing all the degraded grouting and replacing it completely. This way, you can prevent future issues since the older grout is likely to come out over time.

To fill the gaps, first, gather your materials, including outdoor-grade mortar, a mixing container, a trowel or grout float, a pointing tool, and a sponge. If you want to match the existing grout colour, consider taking a sample to your local Bunnings for colour-matching advice. Start by carefully removing any loose or degraded grout from the joints using a chisel and club hammer, ensuring the gaps are clean and free of debris. 

Next, follow the manufacturer’s instructions to mix the mortar to a consistency that is easy to work with but not too runny. Once the mortar is ready, use your trowel or grout float to press it into the gaps, making sure it fills all voids. You can use the pointing tool to help push the mortar into tighter spaces. 

Finally, after applying the mortar, smooth the surface with a damp sponge to create a neat finish, being careful not to remove too much mortar from the joints. This approach should help ensure your crazy paving looks great and lasts for years to come.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to repair crazy paving grout?

Hi MitchellMc

Thanks so much for your advice.  In the first instance I think I will do a repair job so will be sure to take a sample to my local Bunnings (Artarmon, NSW).  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects