Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair cracks in timber staircase?

Samnet
Building a Reputation

How to repair cracks in timber staircase?

Hi,

I have a timber staircase with a lot of cracks on it. A friend of mine just mentioned it needs an urgent repair. What's your thoughts?

If I need to repair it, what should I do?

Thanks

Sam

IMG-20241010-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20241010-WA0002.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: cracks in timber staircase

Hi @Samnet,

Thank you for your question about splits in your timber stair treads.

It is likely that over time with changes in temperature and moisture, the timber has expanded and contracted, causing cracks along the grain.

Are there any sections of the timber that feel soft? If you take a flathead screwdriver and poke around the top of the tread, does it sink into the timber easily? Does the structure feel weakened?

From the photos you've provided, I don't think there are any immediate concerns, however, these splits along the grain of the timber may allow water to get inside the timber which can cause rot over time. If there is rotting, you may need to consider replacing the stair treads.

If you're particularly concerned, you might like to contact a handyman or landscape carpenter for their opinion.

Allow me to tag @Nailbag, @Dave-1 and @Noyade for their opinions.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to repair cracks in timber staircase?

Afternoon @Samnet 

From those two photos It dosnt look like it needs fixing anytime soon. Could you take some more photos of where the timber treads touch the sides and an overall photo?

As @JacobZ mentions over time timber does this, water can get into it but no real concen. Those treads look like they have been there awhile and still going strong. Do the treads flex when you walk on them? And is there anywhere that the timber is softish that you can push a screwdriver easily into it?

Dave

Samnet
Building a Reputation

Thanks @Dave-1 @JacobZ 

My father didn't wait till I get a solution here and started overturning the treads 😂😂😂 the other side is in a pretty good condition.

20241011_142630.jpg

 however, below is more photos. Also, I couldn't find/see and soft area

20241011_142742.jpg

20241011_142749.jpg

20241011_142913.jpg

Still seeking your advice 

Thanks

Sam

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @Samnet 

Id be very happy with them as they are :smile:

The treads look like hardwood and dont look like there is any rot involved. The supports look good as well.

So apart from cosmetics I think they are great. With your father turning them over all I would suggest is a few coats of decking oil and they will be great for a bunch more years :smile:

Dave

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Samnet,

Aren't Dads great. 

As @Dave-1 has said, they actually look to be in really good condition, but a good clean with Cabot's Deck Clean and few coats of a clear decking oil such as Timber Protect Water Based Exterior Decking Oil or Cabots Aquadeck Natural Exterior Decking Oil would go a long way in protecting them and keeping them looking good.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Nailbag
Kind of a Big Deal

Ditto on both @JacobZ and @Dave-1 there is no concern of the timber deteriorating other than simply aging. the only concern would be splinters on bare feet, which can be easily rectified with sanding and sealing with a decking oil.

Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects