Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove water and tanon stains on blackbutt decking?

JohnnyFa
Just Starting Out

How to remove water and tanon stains on blackbutt decking?

IMG_1760.jpeg

IMG_1759.jpeg

  

IMG_1758.jpeg

Hey there,

I have a heap of raw blackbutt decking that I had bought and had been outside for a few months covered with a tarp.

I have finally decided to lay my deck but unfortunately it has some heavy tanin and water stains on the boards.

Is there a good product to use get rid of these stains or will I have to sand the boards and would that work?

Kind regards 

John

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: water and tanon stains on blackbutt decking

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JohnnyFa. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about preparing a deck for oiling.

I'd recommend starting with Cabot's New Timber Prep, which is specifically designed to strip tannins out of new decking. This product should help diminish the stains enough to allow you to proceed with oiling. Follow up with Cabot's Deck Clean to ensure that any remaining residue or dirt is thoroughly removed.

If the stains are particularly stubborn, you may need to consider lightly sanding the boards to restore the timber's surface. Sanding can help remove the surface layer of the timber where the stains have set in, providing a clean slate for oiling. However, sanding should be a last resort, as it can be labour-intensive and might not be necessary if the prep and cleaning products do the job.

Once you've completed the stripping, cleaning, and sanding (if needed), ensure the deck is completely dry before applying your chosen deck oil. This will help the oil penetrate the timber effectively and provide the best protection for your deck.

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to oil your deck.

Remember to use PPE, including eye protection, a face mask, gloves, a long-sleeved shirt, trousers, and enclosed footwear.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: water and tanon stains on blackbutt decking

Thanks Mitchell 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects