Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove oil based deck stain?

hellyestess
Just Starting Out

How to remove oil based deck stain?

Hi, does anyone have tips on how to remove Cabots, Forest Wood, oil based decking stain from exterior paint (on oblique, linear wood) please? 🙏

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Removing oil based deck stain

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @hellyestess. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing stains.

Could you please tell our helpful members a little more about the issue you're trying to solve? That way, they'd be much better placed to offer useful suggestions. Also, some images would assist. Let me know if you need a hand uploading them.

I presume these are splashes of decking stain that have landed on the paint? If so, initial cleanup can be done per the direction on the can, which is with turps. If the stain has had time to seep into the paint, then I'd suggest it would be difficult to remove as it would have penetrated into the paint instead of sitting on top of it. In that case, you'd likely be looking at repainting the area.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects