Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to redo the patio surface?

Jnguyen
Getting Established

How to redo the patio surface?

Hi Team,

I bought an old house with front patio full of rough cement or concrete glue. The previous owner just took tiles out and left everything like in pictures below

I am planning to use the self leveling cement to smoothen the surface but my friends try to stop me from doing that

Could you guys give an some ides how to diy this problem. 

Thanks in advance. 

1000016972.jpg

1000016973.jpg

1000016974.jpg

1000016975.jpg

1000016977.jpg

     

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Redo the patio surface

Hi @Jnguyen,

Thank you for your question about resurfacing your patio.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a self-levelling product that is suitable for application over tile adhesive in an external application.

There may be a product that can be used for this application, but you'll have to allow me to contact our suppliers when they reopen tomorrow.

It may be worth the effort to remove the tile adhesive using a Floor Stripper as this will take your patio back to the bare concrete which can then be finished however you please.

If you choose to go down this route, I'd suggest calling your local store to enquire about hiring the floor stripper as it is offered in conjunction with Coates Hire and will require some organisation prior to pick up.

Let me know if you have any questions and I will get back to you tomorrow with our suppliers' advice.

Jacob

Jnguyen
Getting Established

Thanks Jacob. That may work for my case. Lets me know if you know any way else to deal with it.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jnguyen,

No worries.

I'll get back to you tomorrow once I've spoken to our suppliers.

Jacob

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jnguyen,

Unfortunately, our suppliers have confirmed they do not have a product suitable for this application.

I'd suggest that removing the old tile adhesive is going to be necessary to move ahead with a suitable floor covering.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Jnguyen
Getting Established

Hi @JacobZ  

just want to confirm is pouring cement - concrete slightly on top of the old tile adhesive a bad idea? 

I just wanna figure out which way will be the best for DIY. thanks

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jnguyen,

Any cement product poured over the tile adhesive will bond to the tile adhesive, not the concrete beneath the tile adhesive. The tile adhesive is designed to be slightly flexible, meaning the concrete would be bonded to a surface that can move. 

If you were to pour a cement product over this tile adhesive, it would crack and deteriorate in no time at all due to this movement.

Unfortunately, the only method I see being viable is to remove the tile adhesive and then work off of the concrete beneath.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

Jnguyen
Getting Established

Thanks @JacobZ for your help.

I will contact the nearest bunnings to borrow the machine

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects