Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prepare splinted wood for painting?

Thunderboy
Finding My Feet

How to prepare splinted wood for painting?

IMG_1663.jpeg

have multiple of these seat around my church , wanting to refresh up abit.

some have already been sanded. But I’ve ended up making them splinter, how do I fix that before looking to paint or coat them next?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to prepare splinted wood for painting?

Hi @Thunderboy,

Thank you for your question about giving your churches seats a refresh.

Sanding them was a great place to start and is the majority of the prep work that will be required.

For the areas that have splintered, if you were planning on painting them, you could use Poly Interior Timber Filler to fill the splintered sections and then sand the filler back to smooth it off and match the surrounding areas.

If you wanted to use an oil or varnish, you could use a timber filler such as this Cabot's Natural Wood Tone Putty or this Timbermate Pine Wood Filler but be aware that it would stand out against the surrounding timber.

These products can be applied with a Pro Renovator 38mm Plastic Scraper and sanded with 180 Sandpaper to smooth the filler.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to prepare splinted wood for painting?

Hi @Thunderboy,

Just to add to this, if the splintered sections where still attached to the ply, you could use Gorilla Wood Glue to stick them back down before sanding and coating.

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects