Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to pour concrete?

michaelsync
Growing in Experience

How to pour concrete?

Hi,

The concrete cover near my drill pipe is broken. So I want to pour the concrete to cover the whole area and align/level with the car port concrete. 

I was looking for someone who can do small concrete work in my area but couldn't find it. So I am thinking to do the DIY. 

Do you think it is an easy job that I can buy a few concrete bags, mix them and pour them directly to the ground and then level it? Please give me some advice. Thank you..

IMG_20240719_152302.jpg

IMG_20240719_152258.jpg

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: pouring the concrete on the ground

Hi @michaelsync,

Just a couple of things:

Personally, I would not cover any of that PVC pipework in concrete at all, what I would do is make a concrete "bund" around where the pipes are,

as in a wall that covers the perimeter of that area.

You are making a lot of hard work if there is ever a problem with the pipework and given that it is PVC, there will be issues down the track, it only takes one pipe to crack then it's all on.

You could then cover the bund area with a steel plate or whatever you like, at surface level, at least you will still have access to the pipework later on, should this be necessary.

Outside of the bund area you could concrete that, no worries at all.

If you have any further questions, by all means let me know, I'd be more than willing to help you out.

Cheers,

Mike T.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: pouring the concrete on the ground

Hello @michaelsync 

That is very sound advice coming from @MikeTNZ. I propose levelling the entire area and compacting the dirt with a compactor. The drain area can be repaired with concrete, but I propose covering the rest with Brighton Masonry 400 x 400 x 40mm Charcoal Mypave Paver or Brighton Masonry 200 x 100 x 50mm Cream Mypave Paver.

In this manner should any repairs need to be carried out, all you need to do is to move the pavers out of the way.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to pave a pathway (the techniques used are applicable to your project)

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects