Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a caravan pole holder?

PeterWM
Just Starting Out

How to make a caravan pole holder?

How do I make one using 100m pvc pipe

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: caravan pole holder

Hi @PeterWM,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

I'd suggest grabbing a length of Holman 100mm x 3m PVC DWV Pipe, a 100mm Male Thread Adaptor, a 100mm Threaded Access Cap a 100mm Push On Cap, Red Priming Fluid and Blue Cement Solvent.

Cut the pipe to your desired length with a hack saw and clean the ends with 120-grit sandpaper

Once cut and prepped, apply the red priming fluid inside the push-on cap, the inside of the male threaded adaptor and the outside of both ends of the pipe. Wait 30 seconds and then do the same with the blue cement solvent. Put the cap in place over one end of the pipe and rotate the cap 90 degrees so the solvent creates suction. Repeat this process with the threaded adaptor on the other end of the pipe. Clean up any solvent that has been squeezed out with a rag.

Once dry, you will have a pole holder with a removable cap on one end and a solid end on the other. 

If you wanted access to both sides of the pipe, you would replace the push-on cap with another threaded adaptor and screw cap.

Let me know what you think and if you have further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

PeterWM
Just Starting Out

Thanks.  What is the best way to fit to the van? 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @PeterWM,

It would depend on where you were planning to mount the pole holder. Do you have roof racks? Are you comfortable screwing into the wall of the caravan? 

I have seen Kinetic 100mm DWV Expansion Saddle Clips used before. I've also seen Kinetic 100mm DWV Pipe Saddle Clips.

If you had some photos of where you wanted to install your pole holder, I'd be happy to offer more specific advice.

Let me know if you need assistance uploading photos, I'm more than happy to help.

Jacob

PeterWM
Just Starting Out

I wanted to mount them beneath the bar at the back of the van using some sort of bracket.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @PeterWM,

The pipe saddles I have recommended would work, but it depends on what it can be mounted to.

I can't give a great answer without seeing where you want to locate the pipe, so if you can provide some photos, I'd be happy to give you a more definitive answer.

Let me know if you need a hand uploading images, I'm happy to assist you with this if required.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects