Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to maintain & protect fence?

alex2666
Finding My Feet

How to maintain & protect fence?

Hi all,

I just purchased a house and working through the maintenance list.

My question is for this part hard wood part corrugated iron fence. It's only quite new and love the look of it. What do you suggest to look after it?

17011290213273975060262790249177.jpg

17011290578941905470725732131765.jpg

I'm already going to be oiling our new merbau front fence with Intergrain Spotted Gum so will invest in a sprayer for this fence. 

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to maintain & protect fence?

Good afternoon @alex2666 

I like that fence! Way more interesting then timber alone! The timber will grey naturally or like you say oil it. With the corrorgated part Id leave as is for sure. Why change something that is stylish. I must say I have never heard of spraying oil before? I do have a question about the fence tho, Where are the posts? I was just admiring it and wondering why it looked different :smile:

Dave

Thanks @Dave-1 . The posts are on either side of the metal, they are flush on the inside and jut out on the outside

Ok, so no need to coat the metal to protect it from further rust?

Most sprayers I've looked at (online, haven't spoken to anyone yet) say they are suitable for oil. Will confirm before purchase.

I have this fence on one boundary, merbau at front and hardwood fencing on the other side and rear so a fair bit to do by hand!

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @alex2666 

The corrorgated iron should last fo a long time, at least to the point on either replacing the fence or it falls down :smile:

It will go fairly easily oiling the timber and will be worth doing so. Ive just done two coats of oil to my deck yesterday with a medium paintbrush and it was just head down and paint, took around an hr and a half to 2hrs ish. Just to compare really, Note that oils will darken the fence and their are various tints of them. Very easy to be caught with the wrong oil.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @alex2666 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's splendid to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about how to maintain and protect your fence.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1

That is such a lovely fence, it has such a beautiful rustic feel to it. If you are re-oiling or staining the timber part of the fence, I suggest cleaning it first with Cabot's 1L Deck Clean. It cleans and rejuvenates new and old timber, effectively preparing the timber for coating by removing dirt, oils, grease and other contaminants. 

Please make sure to wash it off the surface of the galvanized sheets if it accidentally gets splattered with it. As Dave-1 has mentioned the galvanized sheets can be left as is.

However, should you decide to paint the entire surface, I suggest having a look at the following discussions:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects