Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to maintain a shaded lawn?

datsun200B
Just Starting Out

How to maintain a shaded lawn?

Hi There,

I recently moved to Cairns, where it is very hot.  There was a chance my wife would leave me because she is Scottish, so not used to the heat.  In a masterstroke, I got place with a pool.  The only problem is that the pool has a shade sail over it and the grass doesn't grow very well.  Now I'm worried she is going to leave me because I can't grow a decent lawn.  Please help.

As you will see in the attached photos, many species are vying for a foothold in this particular patch of earth.  Most are weeds, there are a few hopeful wisps of couch, and even some moss.  I am not sure whether I should try growing something new here, or just try supporting the current candidates.  What would I even feed them?

Any help appreciated.IMG_0605.jpgIMG_0606.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to maintain a shaded lawn?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @datsun200B. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about saving a marriage rejuvenating a lawn.

What are your thoughts on synthetic turf? It could be an excellent option around a pool and perfect for your wife to lay a towel on before liberally applying SPF 100 sunscreen and soaking up that Cairns sunshine. It's come a long way since it was first produced, and now features different pile lengths, variations in blade colours and luxurious soft feel fibres. I'll admit that Tuff Turf 1.8m Wide 25mm Pile K9 Tuff Synthetic Turf might not rival the levels of biodiversity seen in your amazonian microcosm, but laying it will surely be cheaper and require less effort than going through a divorce settlement.

Alternatively, you can hit those weeds with poison, aerate that compacted-looking soil, add topdressing and seed the area. I'd recommend a seed that is both sun and shade tolerant. You might be interested in reading through these helpful articles: How to repair a lawn and How to detect lawn problems.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects