Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to insulate a metal roof?

bowmatty
Building a Reputation

How to insulate a metal roof?

IMG_1530.jpeg

IMG_1531.jpeg

  

IMG_1526.jpeg

Hi Team, 

i have an issue with my decking area, the metal ceiling drips with condensation on winter mornings. 
It is a single metal sheeted roof panels with battons.
How can i resolve this issue permanently and be able to put nice things out.

what insulation would you recommend and also ways to install this?

thank you 

hank12
Getting Established

Re: How to insulate a metal roof?

Hi Mitch,

I do have rafters, they are 900mm apart. I am for leaning to use a simple plastic bracket that I can nail/screw on so will need 4x per panel.

Is there anything in bunnings that I can use?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @hank12,

Foilboard Insulation Flexi-fast Fasteners or Foilboard Ultra Insulation Steel Fasteners can be used to fix the boards between your rafters.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
hank12
Getting Established

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for letting me know, those items are hard to get in Melbourne apparently. Only few stores have them and they are quite far from me.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Will you be sheeting the underside of the roof with plasterboard or anything after the Foilboard has been installed, @hank12?

How deep are the rafters?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
hank12
Getting Established

I was thinking of adding plasterboard after the foilboard but unsure at this stage. Any moisture damage will cause issue to fix after.

The rafter is 190mm deep.

Cheers,

Handy

HI @bowmatty 

It is an impressive job on the insulation project! I'm curious about your process. How did you hold and secure the panels in place while waiting for the Sikaflex 11FC adhesive to cure? Did you use any temporary supports or a particular method to ensure everything stayed in place during the curing process?

Thanks for sharing your experience!
Jeff

Hi @hank12,

The insulation would certainly do a lot to reduce the amount of condensation and potential for water damage, but if you are concerned, I'd advise using Gyprock Aquachek Plasterboard as it is designed to be moisture resistant.

If you didn't want to use plasterboard, the brackets @MitchellMc has mentioned can be ordered very easily through your local store's Special Orders desk. They are a great option that would make installation of the foil board a breeze.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Hi @jeff-nuancelab,

I just wanted to extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community and say how wonderful it is to have you join us.

I am sure @bowmatty will get back to you shortly with an answer to your questions.

Jacob

Hello, thanks for the compliments! 

Fortunately, we cut to size in the space, applied glue and then it fitted snug into the space. We didn't need to use anything to hold the panels in place as the glue held well but had the help of the rafters having a lip which sort of grabbed the foilboard in place (if that makes sense). 

I have about 2 panels which I will need to reapply some glue as they have drooped down, other than that, it's been a year or so and still holding well. I do eventually want to secure it better as I feel over the coming years with the heat and weather it may come loose. I am yet to find anything for this, but thinking of a L-shape magnet which would be able to secure them in without the need to drill into the metal. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects