Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install solar security camera?

dogbural
Getting Established

How to install solar security camera?

Hi,

I bought a eufy wireless security camera that run by solar.

Realised that i have only two options to install.

1000013483.jpg

Where would be the best spot to install the camera? Considering need of exposure to sun foe battery charging, the red spot would be better but is the eave able to hold the weight?

And what would be the best way to install that?

Please advise.

Many thanks

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: install solar security camera

Hi @dogbural,

Thank you for your question about installing a solar security camera at your home.

As the solar panel is on the top of these cameras, the red spot will be a far better place for installation.

It is unlikely that the weight of the camera would have a negative effect on the fascia, as they are generally made of timber that is around 20mm thick. With good-quality screws, you shouldn't have any issues attaching the camera to the fascia.

If the weight of the camera is still a concern for you, there will be rafters behind the fascia that you can screw into for additional support. They will run perpendicular to the fascia board and can be located with the use of a stud finder

You might like to have a look at How to use a stud finder for some guidance.

Let me know if you have any further questions or need any guidance.

Jacob

dogbural
Getting Established

Thanks for reply @JacobZ 

It appears that mine is metal fascia.

What is your recommendation here?

1000013494.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @dogbural,

As the weight being supported by the fascia is not going to be much, you should be fine to screw directly into the metal fascia.

You can use a small metal screw such as these Buildex 8 - 18 x 20mm Zinc Plated Countersunk Ribbed Head Metal Tek Screws to screw the security camera straight to the fascia.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

dogbural
Getting Established

Hi @JacobZ 

The camera mounting plate is like this, 8G is a bit too big.

1000013495.jpg

Do you think this would do the same?

1000013496.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @dogbural,

As long as the head of the screw doesn't pull through the hole, these will work perfectly fine.

Let me know how you go.

Jacob

dogbural
Getting Established

Hey @JacobZ 

Back again for another question

I have one side having a wall (dont know what it is called, is like hollow wall,, no brick). To mount it the camera, should i need to use a special screw or any type of screw anchor?

1000014218.jpg

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @dogbural if you mount the camera on the wall, ensure it's in a location that gets plenty of direct sunlight otherwise over a short period of time the camera will never full charger, which could result in it shutting down especially at night. Bear this in mind as each time you access the camera for live viewing, you will be heavily draining the battery.

As far as actual mounting on any wall type, these 6mm Ramset universal anchors will do the job nicely. They are my go to'f for a lot of fixing projects.

Regards, Nailbag

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @dogbural,

@Nailbag has given excellent advice that I can't really add anything to. The anchors he has recommended will be perfect for this application.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

DIYGnome
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to install solar security camera?

Hello @dogbural 🖐

Best practice suggests 8 - 10+ feet above ground level is the most satisfactory mounting point for your CCTV cameras, higher will increase range and permit you to angle the camera down more to limit vision of unwanted areas (like neighbouring properties) with the benefit of getting the lens out of direct sunlight (and the associated glare), I would concur that the fascia is the better of the 2 suggested locations 👍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects