Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install bistro blind between brick pillars and eaves?

Rio8
Just Starting Out

How to install bistro blind between brick pillars and eaves?

IMG_0018.jpeg

Hi Team,

I have a question regarding the installation of bistro blinds from Bunnings. I plan to install them in an alfresco area.

The structure looks like the one in the attached picture. I intend to install two 1.8-meter blinds between two brick pillars with a span of 3.6 meters, as it only comes up to 3 meters.

I am unsure whether to install them on the sides marked in blue or on the bottom marked in yellow. Which option would be more secure? From appearance, it seems to be just finished with cement board, so it’s hard to tell.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install bistro blind between brick pillars and eaves?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Rio8. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing Bistro Blinds.

Since the blinds have a fall of 2400mm, your height of 3000mm is going to leave a large gap at the bottom. Attaching them to the ceiling instead of the bulkhead would exacerbate this issue further. So, I'd suggest the yellow portion would be the better option. Even then, it would likely be best to install an additional bulkhead constructed from timber and cladding that lowered the area so your blinds meet the flooring.

In order to determine whether you can mount to the yellow section of the bulkhead, you'd need to discover what type of framing is behind the cladding. A stud detector will come in handy for this. Here's a helpful guide: How to use a stud finder.

If there is sufficient timberwork within the bulkhead, you could mount the blinds to it. If you are having issues determining this, then I would advise enlisting the services of a professional who can assess the structure and mount the blinds securely. Here's another step-by-step guide: How to install bistro blinds.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects