Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to improve a side paved path?

veronicaC
Just Starting Out

How to improve a side paved path?

Hello there - we have 2 x pretty hideously looking side passages with uneven pavers that could do with an upgrade. 

Any idea on how to make the space better without breaking the bank whilst also minimising weeds?     

Thanks!!

1000038127.jpg

1000038126.jpg

1000038125.jpg

1000038124.jpg

1000038123.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: side paths improvement ideas

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @veronicaC. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about improving side paths.

What about a decking boardwalk, some screening to cover the underside of the house and a seating area? You'll find these step-by-step guides useful: How to build a decking boardwalk, How to build timber screening and How to build a besser block bench. You might also like to check out How to give your garden a makeover and our Top 10 most popular sideyard projects for inspiration.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: side paths improvement ideas

Afternoon @veronicaC 

Id also like to offer a warm welcome to the Bunnings community :smile: I think you will find some answers in here for sure!

Looking at the pavers it seems that there are a few different sizes/types you have?

First step I would lift the pavers and then put them down level again (paths always becoem uneven with time, well some do :smile: )

Now before you put them immediatly back down, how about reconfiguring them to have a pattern in the pathways? So down the center use the rectangular pavers, then say two squares width either side. To dress it up you could have a hard edge to the path, either the concrete edging from Bunnings Custom Concrete Products 900mm Straight Tapered Garden Edge There is also a shorter version..

You could also go the route of some hardwood or treated timber as an edge (I prefer hardwood as it just seems to last longer, I have used old fence railings for edges and they are still there after 5 years.) I have also used 8mm gravel I had left over to set pavers on for my pathways and it has worked a treat.

To smarten up the sides, you could put in some kind of lattice or bambo timber covering for under the house Outside bench is where I used some to cover up the not so nice a view.

You could also go the route of some gabion seats with timber tops, They are pre packed and ready to go  gabion basket unless you want to make your own as I did Gabion wall bench seats  down the side of your path. 

Last part of the question was "get rid of the weeds" The eternal question...  I would suggest mulching and more mulching plus ground cover that stays low. I dont like using weedmat as I have tried it and the soil never seems to get wet underneath as easily. It stops the soil drying out but "arms in a shrug" If you have a look around where you live you may find some ground covers you like the look of and you know that they will grow in your area. I am forever taking photos of plants that may make the grade.

One last look at your photos and must say I love the trees, Id be making them the feature in the revamped side yards, Shining light up into the underside of the leave sand the plavce will glow is just one idea, plus mulch... :smile:

Dave

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to improve a side paved path?

Hi @veronicaC,

One very easy first step would be to clean the pavers with a high pressure hose. That's obviously not going to fix the ones that are uneven, but it will help to make them look a lot lighter and brighter.

Some more ideas from our community members can be found here - 5 garden path and walkway ideas

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects