Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix gap between fences?

Hennna94
Finding My Feet

How to fix gap between fences?

We got a gap between our front brick fence and side colourbond fence. Any ones has a good idea to close this gap? Thanks!

IMG_2227.jpeg

IMG_2226.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Gap between fences

Hi @Hennna94,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

The simplest way I can think of closing this gap is to mount an 88 x 88mm H3 Treated Pine Post to the blockwork using 125mm Dynabolts and then painting the post to match. 

This would require a hammer drill with a suitably sized masonry bit and a drill bit to create a hole through the timber for the dynabolt to slot through. You could also countersink the head of the dynabolt into the timber and then cover it with Builders Bog to conceal the fixings. 

Another option is to place a large potted plant in the corner, maybe a lilly pilly or similar plant that is often used in hedges. As it grows, the plant will fill the space covering the gap.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they've got any other ideas that they can offer, @Dave-1, @Nailbag, @DIYGnome, @robchin.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @Hennna94 

I like @JacobZ's answer but Id go for a sleeper attached to the end post of the fence, something like 200 x 50mm 2.4m Treated Pine Sleeper CCA H4  or even a 1.8m one.  Id actually screw through the vertical timber and into the metal post. That way you could offset the post to your side of the yard and cover that gap. Paint it the same as your fence and it will blend in. I dont think it will creat any issue with your fnce as its pretty much an end piece to it.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Hennna94 to give you a 3rd option to consider along with both @Dave-1 and @JacobZ suggestions would be to get made up a length of right angled colorbond flashing from your local plumbing supplies for about $50, which I think will provide a minimalist result. All you need to do is draw up and supply the right angle dimensions and specify the colour. EG: 50mm x 350mm x 1750mm high with colour on the back side in Monument.

The colour will only be available on one side with inside being one that would be closest to your rendered wall (you can't change this) I would go with the colour on the backside as this will appear closest to the fence giving the impression its length continues to the pillar.

If you make the fence side dimension so its just past the 2nd rib you could fix the flashing with landscape liquid nails, so no special tools or fasteners required.

Simply run a generous amount of liquid nails down the first and 2nd fence rib and then down the edge of the pillar. Prop the flashing in to place and apply pressure to it with anything like brooms, garden stakes etc like you see people in the movies jamb up a door from opening. Leave this in place for a couple of hours and then you can remove the stakes. 

Hope this helped. Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-07-21 at 9.17.45 PM.png

Thanks for the replying

Thank you Dave! That’s a very help advice !

Thank you very much Nailbag! I will get my hubby looks into this ideas as well

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects