Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix brick retaining wall?

mito30
Finding My Feet

How to fix brick retaining wall?

Hello, what are some options to fix this retaining wall around my back lawn. Some parts of the wall are leaning and another has already collapsed, I assume because of the fig tree. Is it best to have the tree removed to prevent further damage?

Additionally, would it be possible to add steps somewhere along the wall, like say the curved part that's already falling apart?  Right now I have to step over the wall to get on the lawn.

Appreciate any advice, thanks.

IMG_0338.JPG

IMG_0339.JPG

IMG_E0342.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix brick retaining wall?

Hello @mito30 

Thanks for sharing your question about your retaining wall. I agree with your assessment, the fig tree's roots are slowly pushing the retaining wall apart. If you wish to keep your fig tree, I can only suggest moving or modifying your retaining wall so that it is out of the way of the roots.

However, there is also the option of removing the fig tree and its roots. This will allow you to rebuild the brick retaining wall to its original form. Adding steps to allow you to step over the wall should not be an issue, I suggest using the same sized bricks so that it will be compatible with the wall.

As to the parts that have been damaged, I propose removing them and relaying the bricks onto a new concrete bed to correct the lean and any splits in the wall that might have occurred.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @Nailbag and @diy_hausdesigns for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @mito30 

So many times I look at brick retaining walls taht have that forward lean to them and tried to figure out how to get them back to being "ok" if the wall was mine.... Here are some ideas I have had on how to. I have at least 3 walls on my street with various leans to them (I am waiting to see what they do)  I always would rather keep my trees and shrubs, shade plus length of time it takes to grow is why plus the actuall feeling of peace plants bring with them.

My theory :smile: Straightening leaning retaining walls. NOTE : I wouldnt try this on a wall over 800mm in height

- Remove the soil that is up against them, with enough space for your body to get down and work between the bricks and the edge of your trench.

- Remove some soil slowly along the length of the wall underneath the bricks themselves, only remove soil halfway under the bricks of the width of the wall. Be aware that you will have the bricks potentially falling towards you!

- Try and do the whole length of the wall in one go as in removing the soil from underneath, this way it hopefully will be easiest and most likely to roll backwards a little without cracking.

- Once the soil has been removed, go on the outside with a piece of timber 2*4 and put it vertically against then wall and slowly push against the point at 2/3rds height.

- If succesfull or you can bring the wall back to the point you want, then 100mm socked ag pipe with gravel drainage behind the wall and then backfill and tamp, backfill and tamp and repeat. The wall wont be as strong as it was but it should be a lot more vertical.

NOTE * I have not tried this myself as yet, it may not be worth doing but at the very least the soil needs to be removed before replacing the wall I figure so you wouldnt loose much in effort.

To your wall specifically.

Because its low the same suggestion would work however I would be tempted to install steps on that bend as you suggested, for the section within say 2m of the tree trunk I would actually replace the wall with a gabion styled basket as roots wont grow through it, It has more weight then the bricks and can flex with movement of the soil to a degree. That way you keep the tree plus a retaining wall. For the later part of the wall maybe try that straightening suggestion as the only way I know to fix it is to remove it and re-install.

I would also put in a socked ag pipe and gravel behind the wall whichever way you go. It seems to give that extra tollerance to roots pushing against the wall directly.

Dave

Nailbag
Becoming a Leader

Hi @mito30 

with the fig tree so close to the wall and being so well established, any repair work to the wall is going to be a challenge. Plus you’re always going to be faced with the ongoing issue of root growth. So, unless your deadset on keeping the tree, then I would cut it down and then have the stump professionally ground which will ensure the main artery roots are taken care of. 

Unfortunately with the stump so close to the wall, the vibrations will cause more of the wall to breakaway around that area. But if your there you should be able to salvage most of them as it will only be the mortar separating. Once you have cleaned the bricks of remaining mortar they will be good to be repurposed. 

regards Nailbag. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects