Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix an uneven concrete retaining wall?

RonnyDeol
Just Starting Out

How to fix an uneven concrete retaining wall?

I am doing my backyard project with a 2.5mt deck and will pave the rest.

There is an uneven retaining wall which is a spot of bother. Can I get some ideas how to cover it. Attached are some photographs.

Width is 20cmBackyard2.jpgBackyard1.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to an uneven concrete retaining wall?

Hello @RonnyDeol 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your retaining wall.

My first suggestion is to cover the retaining wall with Merbau decking panels. This will give it the illusion that it is part of your deck, and you won't have to do a great deal of concrete manipulation. Another method to modify the retaining wall is to create timber form work around the surface and top it up with new concrete. You can then render and paint the wall to give it a fresh new look. Your decking frame looks good, I can't wait to see the finished product. Please make sure to post an update once you have everything assembled.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
RonnyDeol
Just Starting Out

Thanks @EricL for your suggestions. I am more inclined to go with your Option 1 of using Merbau panels, but does Bunnings have a 200mm wide panel to cover the top of the wall? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @RonnyDeol 

Yes, there is the 200 x 50mm 2.4m Merbau F27 Pre-Oiled KD DAR Beam, but it is still possible to build it out of ordinary 90x19 Merbau decking panels. It will be necessary to create a rectangular frame design with 70x35 so that you can wrap the retaining wall with the decking panel.  

Eric

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to fix an uneven concrete retaining wall?

Now that is some impressive "Removing the retaing wall" effort @RonnyDeol  :smile:

I was thinking as I was looking through your photos of how to cover it up...

Is your plan for the width of the deck set in stone... :smile: yes I see the pun :smile:

I propose extending the deck an extra 2 feet towards and over the retaining wall (it looks like your deck will make it over the wall?). Like a cantilever type deal. You could even support the support beams off the concrete retaining wall. You would have a "face" on the edge of the retaining wall that would cover the jagged edge of the old retaining wall.

Outside bench is a project that shows a cantelever type deal with a bench (tho could be a deck) as well as the "face" edge that I am suggesting. This would be along the overhanging edge of the slightly wider deck.

Dave

Thanks @EricL and @Dave-1 for your ideas.

I have started putting up a frame.

Have a look..

1000105661.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @RonnyDeol 

Thank you for the update, to prevent the panel of the retaining wall from being bouncy should anyone decides to step on it, I suggest keeping the gap between the frame to 450mm to 500mm. this will make the panels very stiff and provide adequate support should anyone decide to stand on it.

Eric

Thanks @EricL.. Do I need to put two  horizontal panels between two frames as well.

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @RonnyDeol 

Nice work :smile: and I am not sure what you mean by "Horizontal" panels between two frames as well?

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @RonnyDeol 

It would probably help with the stability of the frame. Any extra support is always worth putting in.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects