Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a door that has weathered?

gnicholson
Cultivating a Following

How to fix a door that has weathered?

The veneer is coming off? I am not sure whether I should try to take it all off or there is another wat to glue it down and cover over.

door 2.jpgdoor 4.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: We have a door to under the house that has weathered down the bottom.

Hi @gnicholson 

Thanks for sharing your question about repairing your door. If you are not ready to replace your door, I suggest covering the damaged front with 1220 x 610mm 12mm Plywood Hardwood Marine AA Grade and screwing it on with Zenith 8 - 10 x 40mm Galvanised Countersunk Rib Head External Timber Screws. Once the panel has been attached, I suggest painting the door to protect it further. 

This is a temporary repair patch to keep the door going, but eventually the door will need to be replaced with a new one. I propose looking at the Hume 2040 x 820 x 35mm External Door Duracote Flush X1, it can be ordered custom size and in timber filled construction. If you wish to get a quote, please double check your door size and visit your local store and speak to the special orders team. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
gnicholson
Cultivating a Following

MY ISSUE IS THAT THE DOOR FITS INTO A METAL FRAME AND IF I SCREW SOMETHING INTO IT, IT MAY NO LONGER FIIT THE FRAME.

IT ALSO HAS A LOCK AND A HANDLE SO THAT WOULD HAVE TO BE CUT OUT AS WELL.

CHEERS

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @gnicholson 

My apologies, I should have been more specific regarding where the panel was to be screwed onto. The repair panel I mentioned which is the 1220 x 610mm 12mm Plywood Hardwood Marine AA Grade must be cut down to size with a hand saw and placed at the bottom front of the door itself and not the door frame. The repair panel must not be bigger than the steel frame so that the door can still be closed properly. The repair panel is small enough that it will not reach the door lock or hinder its operation. the main purpose of the panel is to patch the damage and prevent it from getting worse.

I've placed a sample image below to give you an idea of where the panel is to be attached to your door. Please remember that the door must be painted in order to protect it from further damage.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as appropriate clothing, gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your repair work. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects