Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to enclose outdoor area and add a gate?

BendigoGal
Finding My Feet

How to enclose outdoor area and add a gate?

I really need your help.

I own my home. This is not a rental.

I want to be able to create an area that is relatively safe for my cats to come outside and share the space with myself and friends or on their very own.

I would like to be able to add permanent screens on the end of this outdoor area with a gate in the middle. I like the merbau screens. The give enough air and light. I realise there will be a small gap on the ground and the top of the screen will be open to the roof. This is well and truly safe enough for cats and airflow.

I would like the gate to be hinged and lockable from the inside. Which means it opens from the inside.

When the gate is open, I would like to be able to some how have a hook on the stable panel so the gate is secure not flap about while it’s open.

I thought about a barn door opening (gate) but I’m thinking that will be too hard for me to create on my own.

Someone please help me. I have zero construction experience but I really want to do this.

What tools & materials do I need?

Is there hope for me?

I'm looking forward to hearing from someone. Anyone.

Enjoy your day :smile:

i like thesei like these

from the insidefrom the insidefrom the outsidefrom the outsidefrom the insidefrom the insidelike this but with a gate in the middlelike this but with a gate in the middlemetal window end to attach tometal window end to attach tosteel post on the other endsteel post on the other end

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Enclose Outdoor Area + Gate

Hello @BendigoGal 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about enclosing your outdoor area.

I propose building a timber frame to close off the open area. I suggest building it in such a way that it will prevent your cats from escaping through any possible gaps. Once the frame is built, I recommend painting it in white and covering it with Jack 90cm x 30m 25 x 25mm Cage Mesh. This will allow the wind to still pass through and won't stifle your outdoor area and allow your cats to see what's going on outside. This also means that you get to keep your bamboo shades in the same area. 

The frame of course will be built with the SpecRite 1800 x 902mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Alternating Slat Fence Panel in mind. Please note that you do have the choice of covering the frame with something else, but I would like to remind you to keep the airflow of the area in mind when your make your decision. In regards to the door lock I suggest using Ikonic Satin Chrome Digital Entry Lock. This will prevent the door from being accidentally opened and letting the cats out the door. Plus, it adds an extra layer of security for your front entrance.

Here are some discussions regarding cat enclosures:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects