Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to create a timber slat fence?

Ethel
Just Starting Out

How to create a timber slat fence?

Hi All,

I am planning on creating a horizontal meranti timber slat fence in front of current fences using galvanised posts. Fence will be approx height of 2.1 metres by length 3.15m. Posts will be spaced at a distance of 1.05m

Questions:

What type of screws should I use to go through the meranti timber into the galvanised posts?

How long should the galvanised posts be and how much of the post should be in the ground? 

Should I put something at the bottom of the post (in the ground) before I put the cement around the pole?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Fence.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to create a timber slat fence?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Ethel. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about building a fence.

For attaching the Meranti timber to your galvanised posts, I recommend using Zenith 10G x 30mm Galvanised Countersunk Head Metal Screws. You'll need to countersink and pre-drill the timber first with a 10G countersinking bit

In terms of post length, for a 2.1-metre-high fence, you should aim for galvanised posts that are at least 2.7 metres long, which allows for about 600mm to be buried underground. This depth is important for stability, especially given the height of your fence. Before setting the posts in concrete, it’s a good idea to add a layer of gravel or crushed rock at the bottom of the hole. This will help with drainage and prevent moisture from accumulating at the base of the post, reducing the risk of corrosion over time.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell. 

would you suggest a 50 x 50 post? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

50 x 50mm posts should be sufficient @Ethel.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Team,

A couple more questions and then I'm well underway.

Drainage rocks. Would these be ideal? Ki-Carma 20kg 10-20mm drainage gravel

What's the best ratio for rocks, cement and dirt when filling up the 600mm for the post in the ground. Should I do 50-100mm under the post with the drainage rocks, then approx another 50-100mm of drainage rock around the post, then put in 10kg of cement, then fill the remainder of the whole with dirt?

I also came across a storm pipe on the shorter fence and have decided to do the timber slats along a longer fence line - 4.6m. It will be 6 posts spaced out at 960mm gaps. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ethel,

Thanks for the follow-up questions.

The Ki-Carma 20kg 10-20mm Drainage Gravel is perfect for this application. Around 50mm of drainage gravel at the base of the hole is ideal. This drainage gravel should only be beneath the base of the post, it does not need to extend above the bottom of the post.

10kg of concrete is unfortunately not enough to hold the post. You will need about 3 x 20kg bags of concrete to fill each hole and adequately anchor the posts in place. The concrete should fill the holes with only around 50mm of soil on top to cover.

This will create a solid fence that will last for many, many years.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects