Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build small fence on low wall?

martyjames
Building a Reputation

How to build small fence on low wall?

Hi Guys

I am wanting to replace an old dilapidated fence with a smaller modern fence. Please see pics attached. Currently, the high end of the fence attaches to the side of my house via a timber post screwed to a battern on the wall. The low end of the fence is attached to a stirrup mounted on the low wall (not very stable in high winds, but it has lasted 15+ years so far)

I am thinking a new timber fence with the high end (house end) about the same height and diagonally sloping to a much shorter lower end. - see rough sketch.

I am wondering if its best to dynabolt a length of timber to the low wall for the bottom of the fence and to attach the palings to  a diagonal piece of timber going from the top side of the house to the low end of the wall to fix the top of the palings to. Any other suggestions appreciated.

Re the palings i have noticed nice looking modern fences use timber painted like in a photo attached - can you advise what timber this would be and what paint prep woul be required?

Thanks guys

IMG_20240622_110857661_HDR.jpgIMG_20240622_110914482_HDR.jpg 

IMG_20240622_112632511.jpg

Syle i would like for new fence below

IMG_20240416_082359810.jpgIMG_20240416_082408042.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to Build Small Fence on Low Wall

Hi @martyjames,

I love a good fencing project so I'm glad to see this is the next on your list.

You might like to start by looking at How To Build a Fence, Installing Rails And Plinths For a Paling Fence and How To Install Fence Palings for some guidance on the process.

The above articles use standard fencing materials such as 100 x 100mm 2.4m H4 Treated Pine Posts, 70 x 35mm Outdoor Framing H3 Treated Pine as rails and 100 x 15mm 1.5m Fence Palings. These can be used in your application, but they will require sanding to achieve a clean finish like in your example.

Looking at your sketch, I don't see any vertical posts. You will need one on either end of the fence to support the rails and the subsequent palings. I'd suggest these posts are attached to the low block wall using a suitably sized stirrup such as these Pryda Post Anchor Bolt Down w Washer and galvanized dynabolts such as these Ramset 10 x 50mm Galvanised DynaBolts. You should also have the post on the house side of the wall bolted to the tall brick wall using suitably long dynabolts. This will give the fence much more rigidity.

As you will not be burying any timber in the ground, you can use H3 timber posts as opposed to H4. The benefit to this is they can come prefinished like these 88 x 88mm 2.4m H3 Treated Pine Posts. I suspect this is similar to what was used in your example.

You will then need to select materials for fence rails. My suggestion is H3 framing timber such as this 70 x 35mm H3 Outdoor Framing Pine. You should run a rail both at the top and bottom of the fence, notching them into the posts on the end so they are supported vertically by the post. Please note that the bottom rail should not be in contact with the block wall as this will increase its likelihood of rotting over time.

Once the rails are installed, the palings can be installed. I'd suggest either 100 x 15mm H3 Treated Pine Fence Palings or 100 x 15mm H3 Hardwood Fence Palings can be used overlapping each other to achieve this look.

After the palings are installed, you can use suitably sized timber such as this 90 x 42mm 3.6m F7 H3 Treated Pine Primed LOSP to cap the fence and achieve a look similar to the one you've provided.

Once your fence is built, some sanding will help give a nice clean look, but please be aware that H3 treatments for outdoor timber contain hazardous chemicals, including arsenic. So, if you decide to sand them, please ensure you wear a mask and notify your neighbours and family to steer clear of the area.

Let me know if you have any questions, I am more than happy to assist further. 

Jacob

martyjames
Building a Reputation

Re: How to Build Small Fence on Low Wall

Great - many thanks for the detailed reply Jacob, much appreciated

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects