Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build outdoor steps?

kitfriendesq
Building a Reputation

How to build outdoor steps?

I'm looking to build some relatively low traffic stairs for the side of our house, total rise is approx 600mm, width around 1200-1300mm. 

The Peak Products Black 3 Tread Steel Stair Stringers look like a good solution but I'm trying to work out the most economic approach for the treads, but all the suitable timber treads (or timber of a suitable ~240mm width) seem pretty pricey: https://www.bunnings.com.au/240-x-45mm-1-2m-stair-tread-h3-treated-pine-domestic-use_p0090470 

1. Any thoughts on most economic stair tread material?

2. I can't find a maximum weight tolerance for the stringers but I'm assuming they won't be able to take concrete treads... 

Any suggestions appreciated! Steps.jpg

kitfriendesq
Building a Reputation

Re: How to build outdoor steps?

Thanks @EricL that would be great. The low maintenance (and cost) of concrete definitely appeals

Great teamwork 👍

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @kitfriendesq 

Sorry Im late to the party :smile: Wasnt able to view notifications on the page 😕 

I like the style of your steps that you mention at the start, I have looked at them for months as I tried to nut out what to do with the side of my house as well. The guys have supplied great information about them :smile:

So How about a differant step? 

I have just finished building some gabion styled steps for the side of my house and they have hardwood stringers on them. Recyled old house studs to be exact.

01 29-09-2024.jpg

I havent put together a project yet (Still need to sort the drainage in front of the wall and a couple of other things) but I used a custom gabion cage to make a form for the steps and then sanded back old hardwood studs for the treads. Yet to be oiled as only finishe dit on the long weekend.

You could go the route of two of these standard baskets side by side with a timber top but say a 30mm overhang goiving you a decent tread size.

Jack 650 x 300 x 150mm Black Rectangular Gabion 

If you decide on trying that then I can tell you how to attach the timber to the baskets :smile:

Dave

kitfriendesq
Building a Reputation

Thanks @Dave-1  - this is such a lovely positive and constructive (pun intended) community 😂

I love gabions and your image but the boss veto'd them for something before so I suspect she would prefer to stick with normal steps, but always great to have alternate suggestions 👍

Afternoon @kitfriendesq 

hahaha :smile: love the puns!

The boss is always the final call :smile: Way too many times have I "discussed" stuff only to realise that the other halfs idea is a good one and I wasted a bunch off time :laugh:

Love alternate suggestions, they are at the very least helpful to solidify the path you want.

Dave

kitfriendesq
Building a Reputation

@Dave-1 absolutely - iteration and prototypes always improve things! Due credit to the boss she is normally right in the end also 😆

I did a partial prototype/option for her at the weekend based on some surplus blocks we had which was rejected as an aesthetic approach but was very handy to give her a sense of scale/volume:

IMG_2530.jpeg

Hi @kitfriendesq,

Unfortunately, the Peak stair stringers have only been manufactured for use with timber treads and are not compliant with concrete treads. I'd recommend you either go with the treated Pine or Merbau option.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Alas! Thanks anyway @MitchellMc 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects