Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a horse feeding station?

tnsmith001
Growing in Experience

How to build a horse feeding station?

I’m currently working on my first project to share with the community and was wondering if anyone has any innovative ideas of what I could use to separate the three bays that will be the feeding station. I thought of a simple chain that can be clipped to separate each bay but am now concerned if that could be a safety concern.  As you may be able to make out from the photo I intend to you the two current short partitions to separate the bays. Where I’m standing to take the photo is a 5.5 ft fence and there are farm gates on either end of the area so it would be closed off. Obviously when they are done eating the are let out but while they are eating the will be enclosed in their respective bay. 
I have to enclose each bay as if one horse, Teddy, finishes his fed first, which he always does, he will go and steal the other horse’s feed, Grqn. And Gran will just give in and let him have it even though she’s a Clydesdale, so substantially bigger than him, Teddy is the boss. 

I hope this makes sense. Basically what/how to separate them safely. 

IMG_8508.jpeg

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: Horse Feeding Station Project

Hi @tnsmith001 I agree also with @Dave-1 suggestion to have pen 1 & 3 gates hinged off the outside fence posts as these will provide the additional strength needed to hold their weight. I would also make the gate widths to match the open of those two pens. This might mean you need to install two short gap filling sections I've drawn in orange. 

The yellow opening gate is the one Dave suggests which can be off either post

It will be very important to ensure the gates and gate posts are correctly braced as Dave's link highlights and per the image below. I would also use larger gate posts than the fence ones that also go further in to the ground with more concrete, especially the outside ones.

We look forward to seeing the end project photos

Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 7.24.28 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 6.56.45 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-08-08 at 7.36.07 AM.png

tnsmith001
Growing in Experience

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions, especially going to the trouble of creating a diagram for me. I’m going to need some professional help driving the post in so will have to wait for the fencers knee to heal. I’m already waiting for him to do my front road fence. I’ll let you know when it’s done. 
thanks again to you all. 

Hi @tnsmith001 

"creating a diagram for me."

One more.

Just a thought.

Two prefabricated steel farm gates - that ultimately 'lock' Teddy away from the other two.

Steel is best - simple and long-lasting - just my opinion.

Cheers.

https://www.infrabuild.com/steel/products/fencing-and-fittings/steel-farm-gates-rural-and-fencing-pr...

20240808_082953.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I love the illustration, @Noyade! I just thought I'd point out that we also do a range of farm gates, which can be found in selected regional stores or Special Ordered from our supplier Rapidmesh.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects