Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a freestanding pergola?

funky-millar
Finding My Feet

How to build a freestanding pergola?

My cousin is wanting to erect a 4.1 X 5.0m free standing pergola.  It will be single span with only four posts in each corner.

What kind of 100x100 posts would you advise to be exposed to the weather elements?

How do I read the span tables for this to determine the size of beams.  Im assuming 240x45 or there abouts would be rough size.

Can i simply notch out the tops of the 100x100 for the bearers and use bolts M10s for these and also use stirrups on the bottoms concreted into ground?

If the length of the pergola is 5m what space could i get away with for additional joists etc and can these simply be joist holders installed.

If there is overhang needed for a visual impact are you better to install the joists above the bearer and notch out or have separate pieces each side with joist holders?

And if installing a sheeted roof does it need to have 15 degrees minimum pitch for water runoff and there fore gutters installed?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a freestanding pergola?

Hello @funky-millar 

Before you begin, I suggest checking your local council's rules and regulations regarding the size of your pergola. I suspect that there are height and size restrictions that must be followed. Because of the size you'll be building at, I propose engaging the services of a draftsperson to draw up a basic plan for you. They'll be able to integrate all of your requests into the plan including the pitch of the roof and the overhang you're looking for. Plus, it will be safe, built to code and will pass inspection. 

In regards to reading span tables, I suggest looking at this discussion - How do you read span tables? by @dowd_hardware. It gives a very good example of how to read span tables.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular pergola projects

I also suggest having a look at this guide - How to build a pergola

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

So if i was to build this.  Reading from the span tables etc for a 1.2m wide span I can get away with 5.6m @ 240x65 and 4.9m @ 200x65.  If I slightly reduce this for cosmetic purposes and exact spacings to 1m then the 5.6m etc will still apply.

funkymillar_0-1725423060265.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @funky-millar 

My apologies for the late reply. Please allow us to double check if your proposal is viable. As soon as we have more information, we'll get back to you. 

Thank you for your patience.

Eric

Hi @funky-millar,

Could you please try uploading your image again? I am unable to read the span table you're referencing.

Mitchell

funky-millar
Finding My Feet

The span table is from Hyne.

funkymillar_0-1725487878166.png

Hi @funky-millar,

According to the span table, that appears to be correct. However, it's always best to confirm your plan with an engineer or builder. Remember that if you do need to submit plans to the council for a permit, they'll need to be drawn up by a professional.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects