Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a foundation for a 20ft / 6m container?

Sopwith
Getting Established

How to build a foundation for a 20ft / 6m container?

Hi there. 

I'm a long time lurker on this site and have found so many excellent pieces of advice. Thank you all. An incredible resource.

But now I'm in need of something more specific. By way of background:

I inherited a bush block in S Tassie with a cleared area (7m x 18m),where one par,t 7m x 8m been taken back to clay. It is fairly level. At the back of this level site is a ditch about 500mm wide and 500 deep that runs the 18m that the previous owner was going to turn into a French drain. The reason is that beside the open area where I want to put the container is an old steel shed on a pretty bad concrete slab. The run off from the hill behind was entering the shed. I intend to use the shed to put larger things in (e.g. car).

I want to put a container on the site to store tools and so on and use as a shelter. Ultimately, say in five or so years, the container would be removed (and likely the shed too).

My question: What base should I put the container on? Advice has ranged from:

just put it on the clay;

plonk it on a couple of sleepers;

use some concrete blocks

pour a slab;

I would prefer to use as little concrete as possible, but would use the DEKO blocks. My concern is the clay. 

I'm thinking of a boxed base, with compacted crushed coarse stone, rather than road base.  Perhaps I'm over thinking it or on the wrong foot entirely.

I would be very grateful for any advice and suggestions. I can get access to a compactor and have all the usual tools. 

I should add, there is no power to the block at the moment, though I do have a generator. 

In advance, thanks.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a foundation for a 20ft / 6m container?

Hello @Sopwith 

I believe that it is an older form of roof insulation for sheds. As you can see it still requires a metal mesh to hold the assembly in place. There are a number of roof insulation systems available at the store. I suggest scheduling a visit and see what will suite your shed. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Sopwith
Getting Established

Re: How to build a foundation for a 20ft / 6m container?

Hello EricL - thank you for your prompt reply. I thought iy may have been. I'll do as you suggest and have a slow look through the insulation section.

Many thanks

Sopwith.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects