Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a Ridgi retaining wall?

PscottDIY
Building a Reputation

How to build a Ridgi retaining wall?

Hey Gurus,

after building one of the best decks in history my next project is some retaining walls. Interested in this RIDGI stuff as it looks easy to install, but I have some questions;

https://www.bunnings.com.au/brands/r/ridgi?srsltid=AfmBOopFCTn0VumsOf-IQmhHxOQGrwm8Zdko9TNCR-Z9c7-_n...

1. can you paint it?

2. how would you seal the panels from the back to water/ soil doesn't run through the front. 

3. How would you cap these walls for a better looking finish ?

Keen to hear thoughts from the experts ?

cheers 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ridgi Retaining

Hello @PscottDIY 

Thanks for sharing your questions about the Ridgi Retaining walls. In regard to painting, please allow me to double check with Ridgi to make sure the surface can be painted or if it needs to be prepped before any paint goes on it. To seal the back of the sleeper, I suggest using Gripset Betta 1L Waterproofing Membrane Bitumen Rubber. When used as a membrane, Bitumen Rubber is ideal for waterproofing underground walls, and surfaces, garden beds, landscaped areas, fishponds, stock troughs and water features.

As to the capping of the wall, I suggest using either Merbau or Pine decking panels. If you wish to get even more creative, you can use 70x35 timber framing to create a capping shelf in combination with the decking panels. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.  

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a Ridgi retaining wall?

Hi @PscottDIY,

Ridgi sleepers come with colouring and are then sealed, so they are not designed to be painted. Any exterior paint would likely not bind sufficiently to the surface, so there's a significant chance that your painted coating could delaminate. None of our exterior paints are designed to be applied over a sealer. If you were to paint the sleeper, it would be at your own risk, and in my opinion, I would advise against doing so.

There are a variety of colours and styles available, so I would encourage you to speak with a helpful Special Orders team member in-store to determine if any of those suit your needs.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PscottDIY
Building a Reputation

Ok thanks chaps,  might not be the product for me. Can you recommend any other diy friendly retaining methods? ( not timber ) , considering limestone blocks but would prefer something perhaps simpler 🤷‍♂️

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @PscottDIY,

Outside of timber sleepers and the concrete sleepers that Ridgi produce, the options are fairly limited. 

There are the FITTA 200 x 51mm 2.4m Charcoal Composite Sleepers which are made from fibre-reinforced polymer and use a similar post system to Ridgi's.

There are also retaining wall blocks and besser blocks that can be used to create retaining walls but will require a fair bit more work than a sleeper retaining wall.

Allow me to tag some of our knowledgeable members to see if they have any ideas, @Dave-1, @Nailbag, @Jewelleryrescue.

Let me know what you think and if you have further questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @PscottDIY 

How about using Gabion cages for a retaining wall? There are a bunch of premade ones available at Bunnings " Gabion cage " Will show what is available. 

They are very easy to make yourself from Gal mesh as well. 

No foundations other then hard packed soil needed, water will flow through no issues and you can change them later on with no ripping up concrete foundations or walls as it is just unpacking the cage and then dismantling it.

Large gabion retaining wall build  Self built cages.

Gabion wall windbreak Bunnings pre-made ones.

There is also a project for a gabion wall with a timber top. 

I am currently building another wall with steps :smile: Yeah I am a little keen on the walls as they work so well.

Do you have a photo of the area you are thinking of putting in a wall?

If you take a look at my profile you will find loads more gabion cages. :smile: 

The projects show you how to make the spirals and also put the cages together plus material to stop fines entering the cages. You can use everything from solidd bricks, round rocks, broken concrete. Pretty much anything solid with weight to it.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @PscottDIY in answering your questions below:

1. Can you paint it? Not directly as @MitchellMc has highlighted. However I have used this primer on a range of surfaces that has allowed me to then apply a top coat of choice. But I can't personal advise how durable it might be on a retaining wall, but it does appear to be the best option if suitable. Contacting the manufacturer would be a worthwhile call.

2. how would you seal the panels from the back to water/ soil doesn't run through the front. I would treat it the same as any retaining wall I have built and thats to fix builders plastic from about 10mm on the backside all the way to the ground. By coincidence I was fixing this to a timber retaining wall project this afternoon.

3. How would you cap these walls for a better looking finish? Comes down a bit to the final colour of choice. But as these sleepers are made of concrete you have the added complexity of how to fix the top board. Are you looking for a caping type look that you want to cover over the top row like below? 20 or 40mm Merbau would probably be the best long term weathering solution.

Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-08-23 at 9.59.37 PM.png

PscottDIY
Building a Reputation

Thanks for input all, @JacobZ @MitchellMc @EricL @Nailbag @Dave-1 

we are now thinking treated pine sleeper wall may be the go for most effective DIY using 75mm treated pine sleepers and steel posts with a capping.  Max wall height is an about 600/700mm. 
a few questions;

- how do you fix the bottom sleeper to assure no movement, can you screw it to the post with a galvanized self tapper ?

- how far should you embed to bottom sleeper into the ground? There will be paving at the bottom of the wall.

- what is the recommend post spacing for 75mm sleepers ?

- we will either stain the timber like photos or would a external cladding like hardie fibre cement or something hold up ok fixed to the wall ?

IMG_6399.jpeg

 thanks 

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @PscottDIY 

I've just finished replacing an old rotted retaining wall with a new one using Gal posts and 75mm TP sleepers. As my wall was between 3-4 sleepers in height, I positioned the posts on a slight angle back towards the high-point, so not plumb. This provides additional support from forward pressure when back-filling the soil. And ensure you line builders plastic to the back-side so soil can't bad its way through the gaps and helps to preserver the sleepers.

- how do you fix the bottom sleeper to assure no movement, can you screw it to the post with a galvanised self tapper ?

Yes but on their own the posts are too thick, so I pre-drill a pilot hole then use the either self-drilling screws or 50mm batten screws through the rear. But before doing so I hammer in shims in the back of the sleeper between any gap in the uprights to push the sleeper forward flush. Then fix the screws ins place.

- how far should you embed to bottom sleeper into the ground? There will be paving at the bottom of the wall.

50/50. EG: A 1200mm post should be 600mm in the ground

- what is the recommend post spacing for 75mm sleepers ?

There is no rule in width, but the higher you go the closer the posts should be. Personally I wouldn't go further than 2400mm.

- we will either stain the timber like photos or would a external cladding like hardie fibre cement or something hold up ok fixed to the wall ?

Paint or stain would be the cheaper solution as there is no need to clad the front face unless you were after a particular finish.

IMG_9002 (1).jpeg

IMG_9070.jpeg

IMG_9100.jpeg

PscottDIY
Building a Reputation

Nice one @Nailbag cheers for the info

how far in the ground do you put first sleeper ? , and also what type / brand of steel posts are you using there ?

cheers 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects