Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a cubby house base with sleepers?

hellocorgi
Finding My Feet

How to build a cubby house base with sleepers?

Hi there, 

I'm very new to outdoor DIY-ing so bare with me!

I'm wanting to make a base for my daughters cubby house preferably out of sleepers because that's what's been recommended and I'm having trouble figuring out the exact measurements I'll need (depending on the size of the sleepers). In the attached picture I know I'll have to get them cut to 1.6m in length but how do I get it to right size of cubby (as in how many sleepers do I need) if I'm just using standard sleeper sizes?

Hope that makes sense and thanks in advance! Screenshot 2024-08-06 150039.png

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cubby house base with sleepers

Hi @hellocorgi,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

A standard sleeper is 200mm tall. Assuming the plan is to sit the cubby house on the sleepers laid flat, you would need 11 sleepers cut to 1600mm long to cover the 2055mm depth of the cubby house with a little bit to spare.

A more economical way of doing it is to build a deck frame out of the sleepers like I've rendered below.

This will require 5 sleepers cut to 1955mm with 2 cut to 1600mm.

I'd advise using 200x50mm H4 Pine Sleepers which can be screwed together with 125mm Galvanised Bugle Batten Screws.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Wow this is so helpful - thank you so much!

You've given really great instructions and I'm gonna give it a go 

Kimberly 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @hellocorgi 

Just to add to the suggestions made, I also recommend having a look at this discussion - Cubby house base ideas? by @SxcMnx. There were some excellent suggestions made for a cubby house base.

Please keep us updated with your progress. We look forward to seeing your cubby house assembled.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects