Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to address under fence gap on sloping block?

Conan
Finding My Feet

How to address under fence gap on sloping block?

Hi all, I have two dogs, and am building a house.

The plan is to build a vehicle enterance on the side fence at the rear. However, as we want to elevate the land and put in a retaining wall, agi pipe, and weedmatting, there is some issues how this will be completed if my partner wants a flat backyard.

I have attached the topography of the back yard and find a 440mm increase would be sufficident to match the patio, but would go to 500 to be safe, even if dirt doesnt meet the top of the retiaining wall. To which we will add good neighbour fence. 

My question is, how do I layout the fence and retaining wall, to allow a vehicle enterance to the back yard.

I have considered an additional retaining wall, between the back fence and side fence that would allow a sloped entry, but it would created abit of disturbance to the flow of the land. I figure the fence can swing outwards, but am unsure how to address the 500mm rise. Land Topography.png20240602034258_IMG_3863.JPG20240602034313_IMG_3864.JPG

Any help, or diagrams is great. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Retaining wall and fence, on a sloped vehical enterance. How to adress the under fence gap.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Conan. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a retaining wall, fence and vehicle entry.

Due to the multiple aspects of your project, I'm finding it a little hard to understand what you're hoping to achieve and the issues you're facing. Perhaps we could start by you indicating on your images or a sketch where you're proposing the retaining walls, the fence line, and where the vehicle will be accessing. I have a fairly good idea of what is going on, but more details on the disturbance of the land's flow would be good.

Regarding the fenceline placement and retaining wall, that's likely something you'll need to discuss with the neighbour. The fence will either be placed on the property line as is and your retaining wall be built on your side within the line, or the retaining wall could be built on the property line and the fence placed on it. If the retaining wall is placed on the property line that is where the discussion will need to take place. 

Next, it sounds like you'll be levelling your property against the retaining wall. I can't tell whether there is already one at the rear of the property, but if not, one will need to be installed. You'd then fill the area and prepare for your vehicle access. Are you planning on doing this with concrete? You could either have a steep incline at the front of the property and then drive in on a slab that is level with the rest of the yard. Or you could taper the slope into the yard. If you were to taper it, you'd require a retaining wall to the right of the drive to hold the soil back.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Retaining wall and fence, on a sloped vehical enterance. How to adress the under fence gap.

Conan_0-1721191907738.pngConan_1-1721191922198.png

Conan_2-1721191960630.png

Hey heres some additional sketches and that, not the best, but should show the general idea. I want the gate at the pink, but due to the rise of 440mm I know any slope would leave alot of room under the gate, as well as kind of impacting the feesability of a retaining wall. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Conan 

Thanks for the extra detail regarding your retaining wall. In order for your project to become viable, the retaining wall must have soil behind it, the fence can then be installed on top of the retaining wall. Your second picture with the green line shows it best. The green line would be the new soil level inside your backyard.

I propose engaging the services of a landscape/engineer that can do a detailed plan for your retaining wall and fence construction. I also recommend checking your local council's rules and regulations regarding retaining wall height and fence height construction when built over a retaining wall.

The entrance for your garage should not be an issue as the soil can be sloped and the retaining wall can be routed around this area so that you have a secure fence line.  

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @Conan 

Ahhh now that makes a lot more sense :smile:

For a retaining wall I would suggest a long row of gabion baskets :smile: (Yeah I do like them, just have a look at my profile) They allow water to drain freely through and dont require a foundation other then hard tamped earth.  Jack 80 x 40 x 40cm Rectangle Landscaper's Plant Support Garden Gabion  is they type you can buy that are premade from bunnings. You can also make your own which is very easy to do so.

The fence posts would be behind the wall, the footings for the fence post would have to be deep as the backfill will be a little too soft to hold the fence in place.

As the the gate, I have the same issue with wanting a gate and teh driveway is a slope. I suggest a sliding gate to the right in your pic. You will have to "step" that section of the gabion wall back a little to accomodate teh slide path for the gate.

Dave

Conan
Finding My Feet

Hi, thanks for the advice, would it be possible to get a marked up sketch of the following "The entrance for your garage should not be an issue as the soil can be sloped and the retaining wall can be routed around this area so that you have a secure fence line". I am just having a little trouble understanding. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Conan 

I've done a quick sketch below to give you an idea of how the retaining wall is laid out and the fence put on top.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to address under fence gap on sloping block?

Hi @Conan the graphics that @EricL has provided is spot on as to what I would be suggesting. The retaining wall will need to be within your boundry line and though highly unlikely out front, check for any easement restrictions.

Be aware that you're going to be up for a considerably amount of land fill to level the front yard. The cheapest way to obtain this is to contact local pool builders as they are always looking places to dump pool digs and the fill tends to be clean, though may contain clay. This is fine on the lower layers. It will take several weeks of weather for the fill to settle, so expect to top it up.

At a guess it looks like you will have roughly a 1m drop, so the wall will need to be well built. I would recommend 75mm sleepers positions using Gal Jack Retain It risers. I would also install the wall with a slight (3-5deg) angle, and not plumb. This will counteract long term ground pressures on the wall pushing it forward. I have attached some phots from a wall I built last summer to give you some idea.

Hope this helps.

Nailbag.

IMG_5582.JPGIMG_5578.JPGIMG_5579.JPGIMG_5582.JPGIMG_5585.JPG

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects