Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you add hinges and latches to a metal lid on a concrete water tank?

Steve5
Having an Impact

How do you add hinges and latches to a metal lid on a concrete water tank?

I replaced the heavy concrete lid on my in-ground water tank with a metal plate.

It is screwed down into wall plugs in holes drilled in the concrete top.

After numerous times unscrewing to check water levels, I want to add hinges and latches to make access easier.

Since the top of the concrete water tank is curved like a dome, the metal plate edges don’t contact concrete near the edge when it’s not screwed down. (See yellow lines on the photo)

With 3 hinges on one side and 3 latches on the other side placed near the screw holes, the latches would need to pull the metal lid down like the screws.

I like these strap hinges since they spread out the concrete drill holes.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/pinnacle-100mm-stainless-steel-heavy-duty-strap-hinge_p4150030

A toggle latch seems like the best approach to pull down the metal lid but there’s no give on the concrete lid like a box trailer cage.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/pinnacle-60mm-stainless-steel-adjustable-toggle-latch_p3962537

The existing seal is a 3mm felt strip but I might use a thicker foam or D shape weather strip.

The biggest gap is on the corner closest to the concrete top edge.

Thicker foam or D shape strips would compress so latching does not need as much pressure to bend the metal plate to mate with the dome concrete top.

But then I need to address the additional height difference between the metal lid and the concrete which will depend on how much compression of the D shape weather strip.

The adjustable toggle latch will allow easy adjustment so I’ll probably put these on the side of the metal plate closest to the edge of the concrete top.

The metal lid is about 3mm thick.

The toggle latch and strap hinges come with screws so I can use wall plugs in the concrete but need to use bolts/nuts/washers on the metal lid. 

Stainless rivets might be better since they won’t stick out as much on the bottom of the metal lid.

Stainless steel flat washers can be used to adjust the contact heights on the concrete.

Is there a way to find out what size bolts/nuts/washers would fit the latch and hinges? 

Same question for rivets for latch and hinges.

Now the big question, have I been so focused on hinges and latches that I’ve missed out on a better approach?

Any ideas/thoughts greatly appreciated! 

Water Tank Hatch Hinges and Latch GIF.gif

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do you add hinges and latches to a metal lid on a concrete water tank

Hi @Steve5 

I don't think metal screws have enough thread depth to bite into the wall inserts. I suggest trying Zenith 10G x 40mm Stainless Steel Type 17 Decking Screws. These have tall screw threads and will grip the sides of the wall inserts. Keep in mind though that over tightening will shred the wall insert as they have a limit to how much pressure they can hold.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIYGnome
Becoming a Leader

Re: How do you add hinges and latches to a metal lid on a concrete water tank?

Hello @Steve5 just curious as to why you are not using the existing recessed framing?  

A smaller piece of chequerplate edged with a seal (of your preference) with 2 handles attached could be placed/removed easily as required, in a similar fashion to the previous concrete cover/hatch, no latch, no hinges just pure interference fit and gravity 🤔

Screenshot_20231208-050518_Gallery.jpg

Re: How do you add hinges and latches to a metal lid on a concrete water tank?

Good idea, wish the tank cleaning company that made the metal lid had thought of it..

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects