Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I repaint previously painted brick?

greenleaf
Just Starting Out

How do I repaint previously painted brick?

I want to repaint, in a similar colour, exterior walls of a 1969 brick house. Most areas are in good condition, with some small chips. 

A south facing section of the house had a water fountain (🙄) built up against the brick, so in some spots the brick was left unpainted, in other spots there’s water damage where the paint has come off. 

IMG_2297.jpeg

IMG_2298.jpeg

image.jpg

Grateful advice on prep, primer, paint type, and process. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I repaint previously painted brick?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @greenleaf. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting a brick wall.

For the areas where the paint is in good shape, start by giving them a thorough clean using Sugar Soap. This will help remove dirt, grime, and any mildew, which will ensure your new coat adheres properly. Once it's cleaned and dry, you can apply a fresh coat of Dulux Weathershield, which is excellent for exterior use as it's durable and weather-resistant.

For the damaged areas, particularly where the water fountain was, you’ll need to focus on prep work. Begin by removing any loose or flaking paint using a wire brush or scraper. It’s important to get a smooth surface to avoid uneven results when you paint over. Where the bricks were left unpainted, or where the paint has peeled due to water damage, you’ll want to prime those spots with Dulux 1 Step Primer, Sealer & Undercoat. This will help the new paint stick better and provide a consistent finish.

Once the primer has dried, you can go ahead and apply the Weathershield paint to these areas too. Make sure you match the same colour for a seamless blend between the newly painted and previously painted sections.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects