Workshop
Ask a question

How do I insulate the roof on an enclosed patio?

mango
Just Starting Out

How do I insulate the roof on an enclosed patio?

This enclosed patio/sunroom gets warm during the day with heat from the roof, so I’m looking for the best way to insulate it with a foil backed insulation/foil board without any drilling - ideally something like this so the ceiling appears white.

I’m looking at using a high heat double sided tape or silicone to mount it to avoid leak risks with drilling, however, most instructions I’ve found refer to shed roofs with purlins and recommend creating air space, which I don’t think would work with adhesive mounting.

Does anyone have tips on how best to insulate this? Thanks

2AEC81D6-4733-4E0E-82CD-9D4E18564FD7.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do I insulate the roof on an enclosed patio?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mango, it's great to have you join us. We trust you'll get loads of helpful advice and project inspiration for all your home improvement projects from our wonderful members.

We recently had a very similar discussion to your question here: How to insulate a patio roof? by @dingo22.

Can you please take a look at the advice that our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL shared there, and let us know if you have any follow-up questions? We'd be happy to help. Eric will be back on the site this afternoon to share his thoughts with you. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I insulate the roof on an enclosed patio?

Hi @mango

I'm sorry but ceiling insulation must be mechanically fixed to a frame system otherwise it will sag and fall down. Unfortunately, the intense heat from the sun tends to soften any adhesive used on steel surfaces. I know you are not keen on building a timber frame, but it is necessary, not only to support the insulation but to create an air gap between the steel roof and insulation.

Putting insulation in direct contact with the surface of the roof defeats its purpose as the ambient heat transfers directly to the insulation while an air gap prevents this from happening. Can you please tell me the size of your patio roof? The frame itself does not need to be heavy-duty, it can be constructed with smaller timber making it lightweight. The frame only needs to hold its weight and the weight of the insulation. For example, if you were to use  Porta 40 x 18mm 2.4m Moulding Pine DAR Clear the thickness of the frame would be 40mm only based on the timber used. This in theory would be the space the frame would occupy.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects