Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I install vertical support for privacy screen project?

mcarbra
Finding My Feet

How do I install vertical support for privacy screen project?

I wish to replace my current privacy screen with horizontal treated pine slats. 

I like the look of these channels provided by Jack they are the correct height and I wish to use them: 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/jack-1-1m-19mm-slat-rear-fix-screen-up_p1100727

The issue is the span is 3.4m and the base timber only has 20mm of overhang which makes it difficult to use an L bracket to fix a vertical support in the middle. 

What is the best approach to the job and will using several braces be enough in this situation or do I need to use sturdier support?

Cheers!!

1000002441.jpg

1000002439.jpg

1000002440.jpg

1000002438.jpg

1000002442.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I install vertical support for privacy screen project?

Hello @mcarbra 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your privacy screen.

In this particular situation, I suggest installing 70 x 35mm Outdoor Framing H3 Treated Pine - 2.4m onto the wall and the framing on the other side and painting it black. This will save you from having to figure out how to mount the The Jack Up Screen products. 

I propose using the Jack 2m 19mm Slat Outdoor Side Fix Screen Up. The angle bracket is installed at the bottom and the top of the assembly there's no need for a middle bracket. In regards to the center of the assembly, I suggest using a Jack Center Brace to prevent the timber from twisting. 

But you also have the option of cutting the timber in the middle and installing a Jack 1970mm Screen Up Joiner Post.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: Jack Easy timber Screen

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the speedy reply. I should have made it more clear but I only intend to replace the top half of the screen (the part with the vertical garden in image 1) which sits on top of the base as shown in image 5. This limits my options for what is possible for the center for support. 

Is it possible to get away with only using the braces at 1.1m intervals for a span of 3.4m to prevent twisting/warping of slats? 

Thanks!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mcarbra 

Thank you for the extra information regarding your screening project. I'm afraid that a single brace at 1.1 meter will not be enough and the panels might be too heavy at 3.4 meters, and they will bow and buckle. It will be necessary to put vertical panel supports that reach the floor every 800mm alternating on each side to support the long length of the screen.

Another option would be to use lighter timber such as 92 x 11mm 5.4m Moulding White Pine FJ Primed DAR or similar. It will still need to be supported but the screen will not be as heavy. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @mcarbra 

You have an interesting question I must admit...

For a span of 3.4m Id want at least another post in the middle to support it  and to stop twisting but then your handrail runs into the issue...

You could install a center pots and "Notch"out part of it to incorperate the handrail but you shouldnt notch out more then 1/3rd of the post. So we are back to scratching our heads.

If you install the merabu timber slats and attach them at the post on the wall and the support post the overall weight will be a fair amount, thats one of the reasons at least one center post , preferably 2 posts Id suggest for the screen such as that.

Trying to thing around the problem, you could install a heavy duty crossbeam from the wall to the post and then hang cut sections of a screen such as  Lattice Makers 1800 x 900mm Hardwood Slat Screen  using eye screws like Everhang 20mm Zinc Plated Screw Eye Hook 10PK 72438 (the size will relate to the type of weight it will have to hold). The bottom of the screen then can be used with eyelets again to stop it flapping in the wind. The weight is carried by the support beam and transfered to the post and the wall. The timber is lighter then the larger timber slats.

Dave

Is the plastic screen under the rail the corrorgated sheet? If so you could remove it for the short term, put in one or pref two posts and then reinstall the modified handrail?

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the detailed reply. After considering your input we have decided to remove all of the existing screening and replace it with new screening.

With regards to your last paragraph, what would be your recommendation for installing posts if using Jack's 1.1m channels? 

Thanks!

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @mcarbra 

Mmmm Depends on a few things.

Are you going to go from floor to ceiling?

What is teh floor like at the point of where the post will be? Is it timber slats or concrete?

I personally like hardwood posts, pricer but I like the look and feel, however 90 x 90mm 2.4m Post F7 H4 Treated Pine Premium KD - 2.4m would also work. Please not that is only 2.4m high (ceiling height in a house)

You dont have a top bar to support the top of the posts (from potential wobble) So that is something Id strongly suggest to install if you go with the Jack's 1.1m channels. There are various methods of fixingthe post to the floor/concrete/timber but will wait until you let us know what it is. Concrete is easy, slats will need to be supported underneath with some more pieces if its not next to a beam or crossbeam.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects