Workshop
Ask a question

How to grow and care for Murraya hedges?

Yangaz
Cultivating a Following

How to grow and care for Murraya hedges?

Hi everyone, looking for some advice around caring and growing Murraya hedges. We planted our front yard with Murraya hedges 2-3 years ago. We have trimmed it once a year but it is not growing as fast as I would have expected. Could the sleepers on the ground be a limiting factor to their growth? I do have a soaker system where we turn on for 45mins twice a week.

I apply seasol to the hedges once a year but the soil has become dry (we have a lot of clay on our land) and filling up with debrie and leaves.

Any suggestions? see the pictures below.

Yangaz_0-1725591509143.png

Yangaz_1-1725591522648.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hedges Murraya - privacy and screen

Hi @Yangaz,

I'd encourage you to do a good weeding and remove that grass from the bed. 

Next, apply a fertiliser like Scotts Osmocote 4.5kg All Purpose Landscape Controlled Release Fertilser which feeds for up to six months. This fertiliser is good for all your other plants, too. The reason you likely haven't been seeing good growth is that your plants haven't been fertilised. Seasol is a health tonic and not a fertiliser. It makes a plant feel good and recover quickly from illness, but it does not feed the plant. It's like soup on a cold Winter day when you're not feeling good.

With adequate fertilisation, I'm sure you'll see an increase in growth.

I do not think the sleeper edging has much, if anything, to do with the limited growth.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Yangaz
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @MitchellMc is now a good time to add fertiliser? weather getting warmer and all?

Do I need to add anything else to the soil?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Now would be a great time to fertilise @Yangaz.

There's nothing else I would add at the moment. You could apply Seasol once a month if you'd like.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Yangaz
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @MitchellMc the soup analogy is gold! i will never forget that now. I've removed all the weeds, cleaned it up, applied osmocote fertiliser, and then put some hortibark mulch on top to keep the moisture in. Hopefully see some growth soon with regular watering!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects