Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Alfresco feature ceiling panelling

Nailbag
Becoming a Leader

Alfresco feature ceiling panelling

A friend of mine wanted a ceiling for his Alfresco area to finish and hide the rood frame. I saw these new wall panels at Bunnings and it gave me an idea... 

Materials

Prempanel 2700 x 600 Oak Acoustic Panels

90mm x 35mm M10 pine

Otter 50mm 14G black button head screws

Batten Screws 75mm x 14ga

Custom U-channel flashing

Tools

Tape measure

Drill & 2mm pilot bit

Impact driver

Circular saw with 40tct blade

Straight edge

Clamps

Frame Gun

Platform ladder

Saw horses

String line

Steps

Step 1

Step 1: Measure and mark out the centre line of 2700mm x 600mm within the roof space. Using a string line helps with this.

Step 2

Step 2: Cut and fix the 90 x 35 pine as battens to the existing roof frame to that the feature panels will fit half-way on each batten. This allows for the next panel to the side or end can be fixed. I used a frame cut but you could use 75mm batten screws through pore-drilled 6mm holes

IMG_6487.jpegIMG_6492.jpeg

Step 3

Step 3: I used off-cut of the pine and made offset blocks that I clamped to the battens. These were used to support the panels while they were being fixed in place by the black button head screws.

The black spacing between the timber panels is actually a sound-check material that compresses. so screws can easily be over-driven, hence using flat button heads. When driving the screws, you need to use your fingers to hold open wider the timber slats so the button heads can clear the edges and stop damage.

The panels are very flexible so having a platform ladder and a step ladder with two people are required, though I did manage to do this on my own. Not my first choice!

IMG_6571.jpeg

Step 4

Step 4: There will be cutting required, both end and by length. The straight edge clamped to the cutting line and a fine toothed blade was used on a circular saw. Taping the cutting line with blue painters tape will reduce any splintering. This was performed on a couple of saw horses.

Step 5

Step 5: as this product is internal and I had the edges of the panels exposed to the weather, I had made up at the local plumbing supplies 26mm (ID) x 15mm U shaped colourbond Chanel that I trimmed and fitted to all edges wand fixed with silicone.

Step 6

Step 6: I installed solar LED string lights (not seen in the photos) through every 2nd black Channel.

Hope this helped, regards, Nailbag
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Alfresco feature ceiling panelling

Well, that is certainly the bee's knees @Nailbag! I love that. Such a sleek look that adds interest to the space yet isn't over the top.

I'm sure your friend was very impressed with the results.

Well done, and many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks very much mate and yes he was. But now has started a list of other projects for me 😩

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Sounds like you're suffering from success there @Nailbag.

Congratulations on the project.

Jacob

Nailbag
Becoming a Leader

Haha thanks very much Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects