Workshop
Ask a question

How to install roller blinds to plaster wall?

glum
Just Starting Out

How to install roller blinds to plaster wall?

1000033661.jpg

1000033662.jpg

1000033663.jpg

Hi,

I'm trying to install some new roller blinds to our new apartment. Since it's plasterwall, I tried inserting the wall plugs that came with the kit. However it keeps getting stuck about 3/4 way, then it just gives way and bends when I tried to push harder. The wall has a bit of damage now as a result of me trying to push the plug through. The depth is definitely deep enough as I have drilled past the length of the plugs. Just wondering if I should drill the hole bigger or get stronger plugs. 

Also when I use the stud finder, it detects metal on the side. I'm guessing that's just the metal frames inside for structure but I'm not sure...

Not too sure if I should keep going with DIYing it or get some professional help.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install roller blinds to plaster wall?

Hello @glum 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your roller blinds.

If your stud finder is indicating steel, it's probable that you have a steel stud wall. If so, I suggest using Zenith 10G x 50mm Galvanised Countersunk Head Metal Screw. These are self-tapping screws so pre-drilling the steel will not be necessary. There is no need to use a wall plug as this will anchor itself into the steel stud. 

To repair the holes you've already drilled, I propose using UNi-PRO 500g Multi Purpose Interior Filler.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects