Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the exclusion zone for a free standing fireplace when installing Easy Craft VJ Panels?

Mj411
Just Starting Out

What is the exclusion zone for a free standing fireplace when installing Easy Craft VJ Panels?

Hello,

Has anyone got any experience/ knowledge with installing easy craft VJ panels above/ behind a free standing fireplace?  

The current guidelines only apply to an inbuilt and I'm not sure it's applicable as it doesn't factor in distance between the wall and the back of the fireplace.

The closest point from the back of the fireplace to wall is 440mm, and the brick work extends 180mm above the height of top of the fireplace. We would like to put the VJ panel on the remaining wall above the brick.

Hope that is clear enough.

Thanks in advance 😀

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is the exclusion zone for a free standing fireplace when installing Easy Craft VJ Panels?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Mj411. It's fabulous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing Easy Craft VJ panels.

Clearances for combustible materials around fireplaces are determined by the manufacturer of each specific appliance. Therefore, it is essential to consult and adhere to the manufacturer's installation manual for accurate and safe installation. The manual provides the specific clearances required for that particular model, ensuring compliance with the AS/NZS 2918:2001 standards. 

I've included an excerpt from our Scandia Warmbrite installation manual. Please bear in mind these measurements are specific to these heaters and are only for illustration purposes. Note how clearances differ, even between their models.

CLEARANCES TO COMBUSTIBLES It is extremely important that you respect required installation distances and that you respect local installation regulations. This is for your safety! The manufacturer is not responsible for the product, if it is not installed following these recommendations. These clearances may only be reduced by means approved by the regulatory authority. A combustible surface is anything that can burn (i.e. plaster, wall paper, wood, fabrics etc.) These surfaces are not limited to those that are visible and also include materials that are behind non-combustible materials. If you are not sure of the combustible nature of a material, consult your local fire officials.

Refer to the installation manual for the most precise and reliable information on required clearances. If in doubt, seek advice from a qualified installer or local authority.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects