Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wardrobe makeover

KellieN
Cultivating a Following

Wardrobe makeover

I turned a 20 year old, stained timber wardrobe into a pretty, feminine one with a fresh coat of paint, some pressed tin and crystal door knobs.

Materials

Undercoat

Satin paint in white

Sample pot of dark pink paint

Pressed tin

Liquid nails 

Glitz beeswax polish

Timber trim

Wood glue

Crystal door knobs

Paint brushes, roller and clean rags

Tools

Ryobi One + drill

Ryobi One + sander

Ryobi One + mitre saw

Tin snips

Steps

Step 1

Remove the drawers and doors and give everything a light sand. Cut timber trim with a mitre saw to fit just inside the perimeter of each drawer front. Attach with wood glue.  

Step 2

Cut pressed tin to fit inside the door frames. Try to be as accurate as you can but it doesn't have to be perfect. Do not attach at this stage.

Apply two coats of undercoat to everything including the tin and then two coats of white satin paint to everything except for the tin. Paint two coats of the dark pink to the tin. Once dry, adhere to the doors with liquid nails.

Step 3

1000030608.jpg

 Apply beeswax to the tin with a rag to areas you want to keep pink then stipple white paint until you have the desired effect. Wipe off excess beeswax with a clean rag. Reattach the doors to the wardrobe. 

Step 4

1000030615.jpg

Before

Attach the crystal drawer knobs

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Wardrobe Makeover

Hi @KellieN,

Thank you for sharing this wardrobe upcycling project with our community.

You've turned a dated old wardrobe into a beautiful piece that will certainly get the attention it deserves. 

I'm sure you were happy once the sanding was done, it would've taken forever.

The feminine colours and crystal style hardware give it such a pretty look and the pressed tin inserts are such a unique and fabulous idea.

Congratulations on another fantastic project.

Jacob

KellieN
Cultivating a Following

Re: Wardrobe Makeover

Thankyou, it's one of my favourite projects

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects