Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycled baby hardwood drawers

debss
Finding My Feet

Upcycled baby hardwood drawers

This was an old set of baby drawers with a change table on top brought from a baby shop. My son is now 14 and I wanted something that suits a teenage boy. It is a solid hard wood piece which is extremely hard to buy new. It was cheaper to upcycle and still have a good quality piece of furniture.

IMG_3082.jpeg

Materials

Orbital sander paper

4mm nap microfiber paint rollers

Rust oleum eclipse milk paint

Feast Watson Liming White stain

Tools

AEG orbital sander

Steps

Step 1

Sanded all the varnish off the furniture using 40 grit sandpaper. Worked my way up sanding using 60 grit, then 120 grit, to 180 grit and finished with an ultra fine grit of 240.

Applied 2 coats of eclipse paint to the frame. Applied liming white to the drawers.

Attached original drawer handles

Step 2

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Baby Drawers transformed to Teenage Boy Drawers

Hello @debss 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your upcycled drawer project.  

What a wonderful transformation from brown to a vibrant dark blue colour with plain timber drawer fronts. The dark blue colour adds such a serious tone to your dresser. It instantly becomes a focal point of admiration.

The combination of the dark blue exterior and the plain timber drawer fronts creates a beautiful contrast. The natural texture and warmth of the timber complement the boldness of the dark blue, resulting in an eye-catching and balanced design.

By renovating and repurposing an existing piece of furniture, you've made an environmentally friendly decision. Instead of discarding the dresser, you've given it a new lease on life, reducing waste and promoting sustainability.

Again, thank you so much for sharing such a wonderful project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Upcycled baby hardwood drawers

A lovely transformation, @debss. You've repurposed those drawers so well - and given a great idea to those wondering what to do with their baby change drawers. I just bought a similar set for my baby last year and will probably do the same whenever she outgrows them. Will be such a waste to discard a solid piece of furniture. 

This project would make a great entry in our 2023 search for Australia's best D.I.Y. projects so I've taken the liberty of submitting it for you.

Congratulations once again for this project. Can't wait to see what you tackle next.

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects