Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Simple wall-mounted shoe rack

renowithrosie
Building a Reputation

Simple wall-mounted shoe rack

I was sick to death of shoes being scattered around the house, and thought I'd make use of the empty space behind our bedroom door for simple shoe storage! 

I made this using some pine boards, fence posts and trim. Put it together with some PVA and my new Ryobi nail gun, gave it a good sand, paint / varnish, and now I have storage for 6 pairs of adult shoes! I could easily now make more if I need. 

Note: I used timber that I had leftover from other projects, but all products purchased from Bunnings and this project can be recreated, or adapted using other types of timber. 

Steps

Step 1

1000037320.jpg

First I measured up the space I had behind the door, to understand the length of my shoe rack, and how much width I could get away with that wouldn't obstruct the door from opening. For me, this worked out to be about 80-100mm width and up to 800mm in length. 

Step 2

1000036589.jpg

Next I used my mitre saw to cut the timber. For each shoe rack, I needed three lengths of the decking boards which were 90mm width, one length of the 60mm wide paling for the base, and then 2 shorter lengths of the 60mm paling to be the sides. I went with 280mm length for the sides to fit long shoes, but the height could be adjusted. If I was making these racks for kids shoes I would make them much shorter. 

I also cut the top of the side pieces at an angle for aesthetic purposes. 

I also used some pine trim as a thin top piece of timber to hold the shoes upright in the rack. I cut these the same length as the rack 

Step 3

1000037321.jpg

1000037322.jpg

1000037324.jpg

 Then I gave my timber a sand, and started to assemble the pieces. 

Base (60mm wide piece), connected to the two edge stripes, and a 90mm wide backing piece. I used PVA to hold the timber in place, and then added some trim nails using my nail gun. 

I then added a top back panel (90mm wide piece) to the top of the edge strips, as well as a front strip using the same method. 

I also used clamps to hold the timber in place if it was slipping. 

Step 4

Once the glue had dried, I used a tiny bit of timber filler to cover the nail holes, and did another light sand before adding the paint. 

For the majority of the shoe rack I used a primer and then top coat of h20 enamel, but for the front pieces of timber I decided to go with a clear varnish. 

1000036644.jpg

1000036673.jpg

Step 5

Once the paint and varnish was dry, that was it! I mounted these on the wall behind the door, and NO MORE SHOES ON THE GROUND! 

Let me know what you think! 

1000037313.jpg

1000037311.jpg

Herrenovacation
Having an Impact

Re: Simple wall-mounted shoe rack

Great little storage saving project @renowithrosie and nothing better than a project that can be complete by using leftovers. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Simple wall-mounted shoe rack

Smart little storage project @renowithrosie. Many thanks for sharing. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects