Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Sealing aluminium sliding door/window frame interior

imarshallwidjaj
Getting Established

Sealing aluminium sliding door/window frame interior

Hi all!

I had a question about whats the best way to tackle stopping the draught coming from the joinings of the sliding door/window frame.

The draughts are coming through most of the joins between the frame and the wall and some of the joins between pieces of the frame itself. Pics:PXL_20240703_015826124.jpgPXL_20240703_015835552.jpgPXL_20240703_015842065.MP.jpg

It causes the corners to become really cold and condensation to form, enough that it dribbles onto the carpet.

My initial thought was to silicone everything but ive got no idea if thats a good idea 😥. What should I do?

Surprisingly the doors and windows themselves have very little draughting going on and its all around the frame that I can feel. Is there a good way to pin point where its actually coming from so im not filling the wrong holes? Sometimes using just my hands it feels like its coming from everywhere.

TIA!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sealing aluminium sliding door/window frame interior

Hello @imarshallwidjaj 

Thanks for sharing your question about sealing your aluminium sliding door. I suggest doing a double approach to seal your door from the wind outside. First, I suggest sealing the edge of the aluminium frame with Selleys 475g No More Gaps Interior Multipurpose Gap Filler

This will effectively stop any air leaks you might have that is surrounding the frame of your aluminium door. Next, I suggest using Raven Self Adhesive Weather Strip on the inside gap of your sliding aluminium door. You'll notice that there is a slight gap between your sliding door and the door frame itself. 

Your goal is to find a sealer thin enough that it fits into that gap and give your door a positive seal. I recommend looking carefully at the door and using a steel or wooden ruler to measure the gap.

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you keep your home warm in winter?

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to silicone seal a bath (the techniques used are applicable to your project)

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric,

Sorry if I've got some dumb questions but abit confused.

Is the edge of the frame the part that joins/touches the wall? Should I do that in the exterior side or interior side?

Thanks!

Hello @imarshallwidjaj 

There are no dumb questions when it comes to D.I.Y. so don't even give it a second thought. Yes, the edge of the frame is the one that meets up with the wall. The product I've mentioned is for interior use only, so you should only apply the seal inside and not outside. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Thanks for calrifying @EricL .

Is it a bad idea to also seal the horizontal joins in the aluminium frame with the sealant?

horizontal.jpg

I do also feel some air coming from there. or are they like needed for something?

Thanks!

That wouldn't be a bad idea, @imarshallwidjaj, as long as it doesn't interfere with a moving part. I'd recommend using a black silicone, so it blends in better than the white.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects