Workshop
Ask a question

How to revamp a flux leather couch that is peeling?

kerri10
Just Starting Out

How to revamp a flux leather couch that is peeling?

image.jpg

I have a flux leather couch that is peeling m. (Thanks dog and cat) I need the cheapest option to make it look fresh. I also have an otter man that I want to fix as well to match the couch but that’s not flux leather. Any suggestions? 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Revamping a flux leather couch

Hi @kerri10,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Is it possible to get some close-up photos of the damage on the couch?

Depending on the size of the peeling patches, it's likely possible to carry out a cosmetic repair using an acrylic paint such as this Boyle 100ml Black Artist Acrylic Paint and UNi-PRO 10mm 3 Piece Touch Up Brush Set.

Start by removing any flaking material and thoroughly cleaning the areas with isopropyl alcohol and some cotton buds to remove dust, dirt, grease or wax that may be present on the faux leather. 

Once clean, it is as simple as painting the areas with the acrylic paint.

Unfortunately, I don't have a simple method to change the ottoman to match the couch. You might like to look at an upholsterer in your area for some assistance with this.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any tips they can offer, @DIYGnome, @Dave-1, @Jewelleryrescue.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Hi @kerri10 

Typically when a faux material starts perishing especially due to to pet love of the  lounge it is near impossible to stop the habit as it already is formed and it is hard to stop the  original material being wrecked  further

@JacobZ  suggested paint I would like to add to that and suggest a   black permanent marker pen (as the lounge is  black )  and black  colour cover any marks as the marker will fill the grain of the material.  We are  talking light wear here if the material is heavily ripped and marked i suggest the following option.

A damaged lounge is pretty much a  disaster but consider  a cheap simple solotion buying some leather or  hard wearing cloth patches and hemming it and glueing it over the wear spots.  I would use liquid nails as a thin contact adhesive it will extend your  lounges   usable  life.  

I would cover the otterman with the same  material to match the lounge now.

I think to make the material nice it needs a hem (material folded over and tucked underneath leaving a  clean edge. Typicaly you would sew this but  a clever person could fold a the cloth edge under and glue it too.

A patch in one location will be an eye sore so consider extra  material  to cover extra  areas  and  ottoman to  make the patches  cool .  I might cover all the arm rests if one is damaged.

Sometimes a  standout material design is better than tying to  match a  faux leather pattern.

Hope this makes some sense to your needs.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Evening @kerri10 

So many times I look at faux leather longers and think what can be done. The best I have seen is to sew patches onto the lounge with neat crosstitching. Especially if you have multiple areas then you can end up haveing a retro patched lounge.

As @Jewelleryrescue mentions, once it starts it is hard to stop. I have bought upholstery needles from spotlight (5 different types in a packet) and they have faux leather in various patches. It may be worth having a go or even attempty patching some sample pieces to see if you think it can be done.

With the otterman, if its just discoloration then you could go to repco or similar for an upholstery foam spray and use a brass wire brush to gently brush it back. It does look a little worn so may not be able to lift the material. If that isnt an option then you could put a new cover over it using material from spotlight and tacks from either Bunnings or spotlight around the edge of the timber. If the ottoman has anaimal smells 😕 there are cleaners but I am yet to find one that I am happy with.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects