Workshop
Ask a question

How to repair water-damaged sideboard?

cactusplant99
Just Starting Out

How to repair water-damaged sideboard?

Hi there! Complete newbie here..

I have a vintage sideboard that looks like it has some significant water damage to the bottom. I'm planning to make repairs and refinish this for my home. 

I was thinking of using a wood hardener, clamping the bottoms, filling the gaps with putty, and sanding it all back. 

I'm planning on filling the sideboard with a few heavy objects so I'm not sure if there would be any structural concerns with this approach. 

Thank you,

image_67172865.JPGimage_67125761.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Repairing water damaged sideboard

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @cactusplant99. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring a sideboard.

They are similar products but I'd tend to go with a PVA glue to bind the particle board back together. Take three parts glue, add one part water and mix. This creates a more fluid pourable mix. Lay the table on its face so the back is facing straight up. Pour the mix over the damaged portion and try to work it into the fibres with a toothpick. You can then clamp the area and compress the fibres back into position. Make sure to clean up any excess glue that squirts out. Allow this to dry for 24 hours. 

After the glue has dried, you can try the wood hardener over the surface for additional strength. 

This method is suggested because PVA glue is better at adhering the structure back together, whereas the hardener's main job is to stabilise rotten material.

If there are any remaining voids in the timber, you can fill them with timber putty, but ideally, we want to clamp the corner so strongly that it reforms in the original shape. G-clamps are the best for applying high clamping force. Adding a small piece of pipe over the handle can help to tighten them fully.

Provided the glueing works well, I don't have any structural concerns with this approach

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell, that's really helpful. Will give it a go :smile:

There's also a section where the drawer handle has been broken. How would you recommend fixing this so it resembles the other handles as closely as possible?

image_67145985.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @cactusplant99 

I suggest doing a little bit of investigation and see if that piece of timber can be removed from the door itself. If it can, I suggest bringing it to the store and comparing it to the timber moulding available at the store. There is a great deal of variety so take your time to make sure that you get the right one. Please note that your goal is to look for piece of timber that is close to its size, the bullnose edge and stain will have to be applied to the timber moulding. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects