Workshop
Ask a question

How to use Monarch pad edger?

DIYHaveaCrack
Building a Reputation

How to use Monarch pad edger?

So I thought I'd try the Monarch Pad Edger when painting my spare room. I thought this would be particularly effective as an alternative to taping as I am painting a feature wall colour on one side. I feel like I'm doing all the right things (Loading the pad up with paint via brush rather than dipping, starting a bit out then rolling into the edge I'm using (eg. the trim) and holding the wheels hard up against the edge I'm trimming) but the big problem I have is that the closest the pad will go is about 2-3mm out from the edge. Now this doesn't matter when I'm doing the other walls as the trim and walls are the same colour (slightly different paint of course - matt VS Aquanamel) but IS a problem when the paints are a different colour. Am I doing something wrong? The edge also isn't as sharp as I would like it to be but perhaps that is the amount of paint on the pad. Thoughts? No photos as I finished the job with a brush. :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Paint edger VS brush

Hi @DIYHaveaCrack,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Monarch Pad Edger. I've already passed it on to Monarch. It sounds like you've got a solid technique down, especially with loading the pad via brush and carefully guiding it along the trim.

The slight gap you mentioned is due to the wheels protruding further out than the pad. They're designed to prevent an overloaded pad from getting paint onto the adjacent wall, which is great for precision but can sometimes leave a small unpainted margin. One trick is to use the pad applicator on its non-roller edges for tight corners and edges. This can help you get closer to the trim, but you need to be careful not to have paint on the tool edge as it will get on the adjacent wall.

The amount of paint on the pad does play a role in sharper edges. It's best not to attempt to paint the area with a single coat. You'll achieve crisper lines by painting two coats for coverage and maintaining consistent pressure on the applicator while dragging it down the wall. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects