Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to update a timber veneer cabinet?

DawnWillis
Just Starting Out

How to update a timber veneer cabinet?

The Cabinet to do upThe Cabinet to do up

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cabinet Update

Hello @DawnWillis 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your plan on updating a cabinet.

Can you please tell us what kind of update were you aiming for? Is your table made of real timber or is it covered in timber veneer? You can tell by looking at the edges of the cabinet where the veneer is joined together. Once you give us more information regarding what you are aiming for, we'll be able to give you recommendations on how to proceed.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Upcycled buffets

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi, Yes, I am sure it is made from a veneer or wood covered with veneer. Is quite groovy. I wish to match it to my jade sofa. I would like a high gloss finish. There is some design in the veneer that could be kept under the paint, in the photo was may be able to see the top of the cabinet. Would like some little motif on the doors. The inside I would like to be white and the shelf at the top in white with a mirror or mirror tiles at the back to make it look more roomy. Main colour: Jade but have seen some wonderful stuff done with epoxy where I could have jade and cyan mixing together to be different.

Hi @DawnWillis,

Thanks for sharing more details about your cabinet update. It sounds like a fantastic project, and matching it to your jade sofa with a high-gloss finish is a brilliant idea.

For the veneer surface, you can achieve a high-gloss finish by sanding it lightly and applying a primer suitable for timber. After that, a few coats of high-gloss paint in a colour similar to jade would bring out that sleek, shiny look. To create the unique jade and cyan effect with epoxy, you could pour a mixed resin finish over the surface once the paint is dry, giving it that smooth, swirled appearance.

For the inside and shelf area, painting it white will create a nice contrast, and mirror tiles at the back would certainly add a sense of space. As for the motifs on the doors, you could use stencils or decals in a contrasting colour to give the piece a personalised touch.

Please let us know if there are any specific questions we can assist with.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects